Chapter 5

Back at the university, Harper and I sat in silence, my voice unwilling to make a sound after the shock of earlier events. I didn't know what to say, let alone interrogate her about why or how she knew my abductor.

I so desperately wanted to know who he was. Not to turn him in to the police, or get revenge, but purely out of curiosity. And how I could protect myself from him.

'I'm sorry about what happened back there,' Harper said finally, breaking the silence.

'Don't worry,' I replied. 'Its not your fault some psychopath abducted us.'

'But it is my fault,' Harper answered back. 'I'm the one he knew, and I'm the one who puts countless people in danger.'

Silence.

'Don't blame yourself, Harper,' I reassured. 'He wanted me, not you.'

'But I can't stop blaming myself,' she added.

'Then why do you think it's your fault?' I asked. I wanted solid answers now.

Harper hesitated. I could see the fear and worry in her eyes at what information she was about to indulge on.

'From Starling,' she started. Of course. Everything seemed to happen in Starling for Harper. 'He was... involved in my father's case. And I had to get away from him.'

'What did he do?' I asked, both feeling sorry for Harper and curious.

'I'd rather not say.'

Silence.

Looking at my watch, I realised it was already 10:00pm. When you lose half a day unconscious, time certainly goes by quickly.

'I'm going to get some sleep,' I announced and walked towards the door. Harper didn't look up as I headed out. 'And listen, if you need to talk to someone, I'm only next door. I won't judge.'

With that, I shut the door as I departed and wished the next day wouldn't be as traumatic and confusing as this one.