Chapter 17

Deciding to start becoming stronger, I began to brainstorm ideas. I knew my defence skills were nearly nonexistent, so I needed to learn how to defend myself. And fast. Thinking back to what Merlyn used to do this, I remembered his bow and arrows. And he was quick to defend his prized possession.

He also had good combat skills too. Scrolling down to the internet application on my laptop, I typed in 'Bow and arrows' into the search bar and looked at the corresponding images to this. And I positioned the laptop so no cameras could see the screen.

After minutes of observation, I figured how the bow worked and how the arrow worked with the bow. Drawing designs on a piece of scrap paper, I shoved it into my jeans pocket and quickly closed my laptop shut. Merlyn didn't need to know my plans.

---

Walking into the City Centre, I passed many people, all rushing around to their destinations at the shortest possible time they could manage in time for the Christmas season. I had almost forgotten December had already arrived amidst all the drama I had experienced of late, the occurrence of fairy lights and wreaths almost feeling out of place. I felt alien in this city environment, strolling along the concrete as if I was surrounded by greenery in a park back home. In the countryside you were guaranteed to find some stretch of grass wherever you looked, but here, it was a totally different story.

I missed the fields, the never-ending display of plants and trees decorating the scenery. I missed the smell of the fresh air that reminded me of the farm my grandfather used to live on, his tweed attire setting him aside from any other. I missed my school friends, the ones I had lost touch with and the ones I had stayed friends with through Sixth Form.

I missed my mum, how she would tuck me into bed every night when I was a child and read me bedtime stories, my favourite 'The Magic Faraway Tree' by Enid Blyton. I missed my father, how he would help anyone in need in the street or at work whilst being a doctor. And of course, I missed my sisters, their bubbly, innocent presence making me forget all my cares in the world, even if we ended up in an argument or two. Yes, I even missed the arguments. I just hoped they were safe.

But then I realised they would be worrying about me.

I had been gone for a month now, and my sudden disappearance would have caused havoc. Knowing them, they would be searching for me. I didn't know whether staying away from them or going back to them would be the best solution.

---

After 20 minutes of walking, I reached ny destination. The DIY store. Smiling to myself, I pushed open the wooden door of the establishment and hurried inside out of the cold.

The store was filled to the brim with many different materials and contraptions, each thing undoubtedly existent for one purpose. To do something. And I needed materials to do something. To make a bow and some arrows.

As I started my search, a happy-looking employee approached me, his blond hair strangely stuck out by the festive felt antlers he wore, his classic Christmas jumper looking oddly placed on the young lad.

'Finally!' He exclaimed. 'A customer! What I can I do for you?'

Just what I needed. Someone to find out my plans.

I'm looking for some materials for a... school project,' I lied, not knowing what to say. If I said I was just casually making a bow and some arrows, I don't think it would give a great impression of me.

'You're still in school?' He asked, astonished. I'm not surprised at his reaction to be perfectly honest, I was in university, and there was no way I could qualify to look under 16. I was born in 1985, not 1995. But now I was going to have to go along with the lie.

I had lied the most that week than I ever had in a lifetime.

'No, I'm getting the materials for my... mum,' I said, making the lie even worse. I couldn't say I was getting potentially dangerous materials for a child, could I?

'Your... mom?' The guy asked, more astonished than ever. His reactions were hilarious to watch; I just had to keep a straight face to sell my story.

'Yeah, she's a teacher,' I explained, feeling so relieved after putting forward this 'explanation'.

'Ah, of course!' the employee smiled. 'I'll help you round the store.'

'Thank you... Eddie?' I said, looking at his name badge as I smiled back.

---

'So what do you need first?' Eddie asked as he showed me around the store.

Looking at the scrap piece of paper I had scribbled on, I decided to ask for the curved wood of the bow first.

'Do you have any circular wooden rods?' I asked hopefully. 'It needs to be slightly flexible, too. And thin.'

'Is mulberry fine?' He asked with that same smile again.

'Er, yeah?' I nodded in agreement, not knowing the difference between mulbery wood and normal wood, in hope that it would work. I was not very experienced in DIY.

'And what length?'

All the images I had seen seemed to have wood rods about six foot long, their curve making the bow look shorter than the actual potential length of wood.

'1.8 metres,' I stated confidently.

'What exactly is your mom making?' Eddie asked, seeming amused by my request as he reached for the mulberry.

'She's teaching the younger children about... Robin Hood,' I thought off the top of my head. 'She likes to properly get into each topic so the student enjoy her lessons.'

'I wish I had a teacher like that at school,' Eddie remarked. 'Now I'm at college though so I don't have to worry about that.'

'Wait, Central City University?' I asked suddenly. If he was at the university I might have seen him around.

'Yeah, I'm taking a course in law,' Eddie replied, looking happy at the prospect. 'What about you?'

'Criminology course,' I said with the least bit of excitement in my voice. I hated saying that instead of telling people I was going an Astrophysics course. My aspiration wasn't coming true anytime soon.

'So we're wanting to do similar things when we leave college?' Eddie asked. I almost laughed. Only he actually wanted to go into law. But I had to.

'Yeah,' I just managed to say.

---

After a while, whilst talking to Eddie nonstop, who I seemed to get on with very well, I had obtained and paid for the my materials.

'That's $35.89,' Eddie said, cashing my money into the till and giving me the adequate change. The DIY shop sure was cheap, and with my endless pot of money provided by Merlyn I could more than afford it.

'Thankyou,' I thanked Eddie, turning towards the door.

'Aria, right?' Eddie asked. I nodded in agreement. 'See you at college.'

Just before I left, a stack of bright flyers beside the till caught the corner of my eye. Retracing my steps back to the counter, I took a look at the flyer. It read, 'Self Defence Classes' in big, bold writing. Just what I needed to help defending myself against Merlyn.

'Oh, are you interested in classes?' Eddie asked.

'Yeah,' I replied. 'I want to be able to protect myself in the city.'

'They're actually my idea,' Eddie remarked. 'I'm leading one-to-one lessons.'

I felt relieved by Eddie's words. At least I would know the teacher and feel much more confident talking in classes, as well as not embarrassing myself in front of many people.

'When can I start tuition?' I asked, sounding intrigued. 'I'd love to take classes!'

'We can start tomorrow!' Eddie exclaimed with delight.

'See you then,'