Chapter 40

'Aria!' I heard Tommy shouting through the hallways in utter joy. Something had really made him happy.

'What is it?' I giggled at the dumbstruck, amazed expression on his face.

'So, I just got a call from one of my friends,' Tommy started, unable to contain himself. 'And she told me she has two spare tickets to go and see Panic! At The Disco in concert!'

'You can't be serious?' I said quietly.

As Tommy slowly nodded his head, we both shouted in joy at the wonderful news.

'When is it?' I asked excitedly.

'This weekend!' Tommy exclaimed. 'And, we can probably meet the band afterwards too, my friend knows the lead singer, Brendon!'

'Like I didn't know who he was!' I scoffed, rolling my eyes at Tommy.

Tommy had been the person who had introduced me to the band, constantly playing their song I Write Sins Not Tragedies around the house when it had first come out. And to say I had only been living there a month, I was sure I had heard that song a thousand times already.

---

'Morning,' Beth Lindsay, the CCPD Forensic Scientist, greeted me as I returned to work.

'Hi,' I said slowly, not expecting her to still be there.

'I'm filling in until the new Forensic Scientist comes in for work,' Beth said, sensing my expectations. 'And to support you after your... ordeal.'

'I'm fine, honestly,' I said definitely. I didn't understand why everyone was so worried for me.

'Anyway, apart from that, you can't manage the lab on your own this early in your career,' Beth pointed out. 'And I'm here to help until the new one comes.'

'When is my new colleague arriving?' I asked, wanting her to come as soon as possible.

I felt like all Beth had done was watch me like a hawk, and I felt so socially awkward and uncomfortable around her because of her original assignment; to watch me when I was a possible suspect for Simon and Tommy's disappearances. She was always scribbling in that notebook of hers when I came in or said something, and I was truly worried of her purpose in the lab.

And I still felt like she was up to something.

'She's coming on Monday,' Beth explained. 'And her name's Helena Cadent.'

---

Pulling up outside the Starling City Arena, Tommy and I sped out the car like excited children in a sweet shop, buzzing about the whole event.

'I can't believe we're really here!' I exclaimed, glancing at the posters promoting Panic! At The Disco with the band members' faces plastered all over the arena walls.

'Hey,' Tommy suddenly greeted a girl waiting outside the arena doors.

'Hi,' she waved quietly, speaking in a British accent I hadn't heard from anyone but myself for the past four years.

'Aria meet Helena, Helena meet Aria,' Tommy introduced us both to each other as I smiled at her in greeting. She seemed quite nervous meeting me, but I felt that she was someone I could get along with.

'Do you want to go into the stadium now?' Helena asked softly with a smile, her golden hair sparkling in the cold, sparse sunlight.

'Yeah, I think we better had,' I agreed, observing the fans starting to fill the arena, their homemade banners and merchandise in hand. 'If we want to get to the front!'