Chapter 58

'Oliv-' I said quickly, before stopping myself.

I couldn't let Ivo know that I knew Oliver; it would put both me and Oliver in danger, and possibly even Sara. So I decided I was going to have to 'torture' him like I did with Hendrick to talk to Oliver. It was the only way to ensure our safety.

Hurrying back to my quarters, I laid down and took a deep breath. I still didn't know how to escape, there were already Peter and Hendrick counting on me and now another in the shape of Oliver, even though he didn't know it yet. I was our only hope.

As Sara came into the room, I sat up at once.

'Sara,' I said, trying to think of something to say without it sounding like we knew Oliver, as Ivo was surely listening in. 'There's a new prisoner. I think you should go and see him.'

'Okay...' Sara said slowly, slightly confused. 'Why?'

'He's... different from the others,' I added. 'I'll come down with you.'

As Sara made her way to Oliver, I accompanied her in case she openly gave up the fact that she knew him. Approaching the cell, she gave the same reaction I did, staggering backwards.

'Oli-' she started before I shook my head to tell her to be quiet. 'Why?' She whispered.

'If they know we know him,' I whispered. 'It puts us all in danger. We can't let Ivo know we know him. And we can't talk about this anywhere, not even in our room. They have cameras and microphones everywhere.'

Nodding, we retreated from the cell. Moments later, we saw him wake.

'I need to go to him!' Sara whispered, looking longingly in his direction. 'I need to see-'

'You can't,' I pulled Sara back, holding her wrist tightly. 'It's too soon. We have to go, now, before he sees us.'

'Okay,' she said sadly, her head bowed, as if she had lost him all over again.

Speeding up the staircases away from Oliver's cell, we were met with Ivo.

'Sara, Aria,' he said abruptly. 'You need to come with me, now.'

As we exchanged worried glances, Sara and I followed Ivo into his quarters. He seemed pretty ticked off at us for some reason.

I couldn't think why.

'Why did you not tell me?' Ivo asked, shaking his head with that evil grin of his.

'I... Haven't got a clue what you mean, Ivo,' I said sarcastically, trying to find out what he knew before giving up you much information.

'You know what I mean, Aria,' Ivo said seriously. 'You know that... man, don't you? That's why you went down there. I've not seen you take any interest in other prisoners like that before. He isn't 'different from the others', as you put it.'

'I... don't know him,' I insisted, trying to think of something to say, anything. Anything but the truth. 'To be honest, I kind of... Like him.'

Now I sounded all soppy. Weak. I really didn't need that impression of me in Ivo's head.

'No, Aria,' Ivo said, raising his voice. 'You know him! Stop lying.'

'How do you know I'm lying?' I kicked out, putting my hands to my head. 'You're not some sort of mind reader! And you hardly know me to actually be able to tell if I was lying or not!'

'I've known you long enough to know you're a pretty bad liar!' Ivo fought back. 'You've been on this ship for five months now. I think it's time you start acting like you're part of the crew now by admitting that you know him. You can't keep secrets on this boat. You're practically family.'

'I've had enough!' I screamed.

I had been keeping all this anger, this hatred locked up inside of me, and now I had finally found the key.

'I've had enough of you. And this stupid damned boat. You only care about me for my 'talents', my 'abilities'. You don't care about my feelings! You're no family to me, Anthony. My family are goodness knows where trying to find me! I've been away from them for far too long, and all I want is to see them again. I would do anything, I swear, even if it meant to help you with your stupid Mirakuru-'

I had really dropped myself in that one. I couldn't just back down now. I just swore to Ivo that I would help him.

Well done Aria.

'You've got yourself a deal,' Ivo smiled. 'I will return you to your family if you help me find the Mirakuru.'

He put out his hand to shake on it.

'Deal,' I huffed with gritted teeth, Sara covering her face with her hands in sorrow at what I had done.

I was truly and utterly screwed.