Chapter 28

Nervously, I entered the interview room, trying to keep a level head. I didn't know what I was going to say, how to present myself or what questions I would be asked, but instead I had to rely on my skillset and ability to hold a conversation professionally.

'Aria Coleman?' The man sat centrally at the edge of the round table placed in the middle of the room. I nodded in response. 'Take a seat.'

Taking the one nearest to me, I sat opposite the small tableaux of interviewers, all looking me up and down and wanting full eye contact all at once.

'Your resumé is very impressive,' the woman sat next to the first speaker stated. 'But you lack experience. Is this your first job in Forensic Science?'

'Yes,' I answered, trying my best not to mess up. 'I moved to America for university.'

'I see,' The woman commented.

'Impressive results,' the man acted surprised. 'You seem promising, Miss Coleman.'

Surprised myself, I smiled and anxiously awaited their next question.

'Do you consider yourself to be right for Forensic Science in The Starling City Police Department?' The woman quizzed, her eyes as if they were piercing my soul to find the answer out before I gave it.

'Yes,' I started. 'I... have been interested in the sciences from a young age, and I wanted to make use of those skills in a practical way I knew I would enjoy. I also can solve problems and work out things quickly.'

'Thank you, Miss Coleman,' the man said.

---

After many more questions and inquiries, the two interviewers let me out. Sighing, I hurried out of the building, glad for it to be over.

'Did it go well?' Merlyn asked when I returned to house through the secret entrance Merlyn had demanded me to use to ensure I wasn't seen by anyone.

'I think so,' I replied. 'They seemed to like me.'

'Good,' Merlyn said. 'And now we can begin.'

Opening a locked door, Merlyn led me into a room full of weapons and equipment, his assassin suit hung in the corner of the room.

'Wow,' I gasped. 'You certainly have a lot of stuff!'

'From when I was trained as a warrior,' he added.

'Don't you have a son?' I asked Merlyn suddenly off topic, remembering our early conversations in Manchester and Central City.

'Yes,' Merlyn nodded. 'That's why you're here.'

Puzzled, I gave Merlyn a confused look.

'Why?'

'My son is... estranged from me,' Merlyn explained. 'I wasn't exactly the best father, my training taking over Tommy's childhood. And, as a result, he doesn't like me. But I think he'll listen to you.'

So this was why Merlyn abducted me in the first place. It didn't really make sense, but it made more sense than before.

'But why does he need to 'listen to me'?' I asked.

'Because he's reckless,' Merlyn explained further. 'He and his friend, Oliver, are young, and terribly stupid. They joy ride, throw huge parties, and don't know that they are harming their future, their reputation, and my reputation as a businessman. I need you to stop him from doing things he'll regret.'

'But why me?' I asked suspiciously. He could have picked anyone. He must have had some motive in picking me.

'You're smart,' Merlyn said. 'Brave. And I needed someone to work with me to stop evil. You seemed perfect for the job.'

I still didn't think Merlyn was telling me the whole truth, but at least I knew something. But I felt that it still didn't add up, that something vital would complete the picture and make it all make sense.

---

Looking around the place, as Merlyn temporarily left the room, I found swords and spears, bows and arrows and many other dangerous objects that looked too complicated for me to understand how they even worked. But Merlyn's suit, that was the thing which marvelled me most. It looked as if it took weeks, if not months, to make, each stitch clearly sewn by hand, and its purpose, to hide the identity of him, so no one would know who he was. All his secrets lay underneath the suit, each memory, each experience, each... killing. If only it could reveal his secrets.

Re-entering the room, Merlyn carried what appeared to be a bowl of water, steam rising from the surface. Boiling hot water.

'Now, for your first... test,' Merlyn announced, sitting down on the Chinese tea mat on the floor. Following suit, I sat opposite him as he placed the bowl in between us. 'The Sohei Buddhist Warriors believed that first you fight with the mind, then your sword. I remember when I was training to be a warrior, I was hurt, angry at my wife, Rebecca's, death. Like you are now, angry at Eddie. At Anna. I was so angry, so hurt, that the pain felt like this.'

Using a ladle, Merlyn poured some water on his hand, not flinching once. I cringed, unable to imagine the pain he was going through. Not even Merlyn deserved that pain.

'You're hurting yourself!' I shouted, concerned.

'But I can deal with it,' Merlyn said. 'And I can show you how to too.'

'No, Merlyn!' I shouted again, putting my hands behind ny back instinctively. 'I won't let you... torture me!'

'Put your hand over the bowl, Aria,' Merlyn instructed.

'I said no!' I exclaimed. Now he was just being twisted.

'Every warrior must learn the simple truth. That pain is inevitable, and suffering is optional.'

'You're sick!' I exclaimed, yelping in unbearable pain as Merlyn grasped my hand and poured water over it.

'If I had a daughter, I bet she'd be able to deal with the pain,' Merlyn said spitefully. 'She'd listen to me.'

'Well, I'm lucky I'm not your daughter then,' I remarked, my hand still burning. 'And you have a son. Who I need to help apparently. And torturing me isn't going to make me want to help you, or your son.'

'Well, I'll have to think of another way to train you then,' Merlyn said, much to his discontent.