Chapter 29

'Welcome to the SCPD,' The receptionist greeted as I entered the building, ready for my first day as a Forensic Scientist at Starling City's Police Department. Clearly not recognising me, I just smiled and asked her for my name badge.

'It's my first day here,' I told her.

'Okay,' she said. 'Miss...?'

'Aria Coleman,' I answered brightly.

'Here you go, Aria,' she said politely, handing me my ID. 'And, good luck.'

Thanking her, I made my way into the building, looking for the head of the forensic science department, Simon Lloyd. He had personally given me the call to tell me that I had a place at the SCPD, even though I had probably been up against more experienced candidates with chemistry or biology degrees in addition to a criminology degree.

Entering the room in the middle of the building, where many areas of the department met to discuss things and pass on information and assignments, a tall man with neatly slicked back, jet black hair greeted me. He wore a suit and looked very professional indeed, his glasses adding to the picture.

'Aria Coleman?' The man asked, and glanced at my ID badge to confirm it was me. 'I'm honoured that you're working with us!'

Honoured? I wasn't some sort of celebrity.

'Your grades are phenomenal!' He continued. So that was why. 'I'm so sorry I couldn't be there at the interview.'

'Hey, it's fine,' I said. 'And I'm glad to meet you too, Mr Lloyd. Without you I'd still be unemployed!'

'Call me Simon,' Simon said, smiling.

Leading me up to the lab, Simon explained what we'd be doing that day. It basically involved getting to know the building, the people working there and using the lab.

'So, have you been in America for long?' Simon asked.

'About two, three years,' I answered. I didn't have to give him details.

'Malcolm told me he had high hopes for you,' Simon carried on. Of course. Now I saw why I got the job as well. He was friends with Merlyn. 'Your uncle is such a caring man like that.'

Uncle? Oh, this must have been the cover story. That I had moved to America and lived at my uncles house.

'I know, he's brilliant, isn't he,' I added ironically. Simon didn't even realise how dangerous Merlyn was. But then again, he had been caring towards me, I suppose.

As we walked into the lab, I gasped in amazement. It was definitely high-tech, the scientific instruments all very advanced. I wondered if I was going to be able to learn how to use it all.

'Your uncle's company, Merlyn Global Group, actually funded this lab for us recently,' Simon explained. 'That's actually how we came to know each other, Malcolm and I. We didn't used to have all this a few years ago. He made our department better, and now we can solve cases much quicker.'

Was this all for me? Merlyn said he only wanted me to do forensic sciences so I could help him, and the lab was coincidently bettered for when I arrived. And I don't believe in coincidences.

'Its brilliant,' I said. 'I'm glad he helped fund it so we can reduce crime in the city.'

At least I sounded committed to my job.

---

'Hi, Simon,' I heard as we went downstairs for a lunch break.

'Hi, Mr Lance,' Simon replied.

A man wearing an ID badge that read 'Sergeant Quentin Lance' appeared to be the speaker, his face appearing as though he had seen a lot of things and had a lot of experience on the crime scene.