Chapter 55

'Aria!' Peter whispered, a glimmer of hope in his eyes. 'You made it!'

'I.. I didn't,' I shook my head. 'I decided to stay here. I... work on the ship now.'

'What do you mean?' Peter asked, confused.

'I have to take you to your next test,' I said sadly. 'I'm sorry, Peter.'

'No!' Peter yelled. 'Don't take me there! It's horrible!'

As he struggled, I fought him and bound his hands together. I felt absolutely awful; I was going to put the only person who had shown me mercy on the island through a test that was giving him radiation poisoning.

'I don't want to do this to you,' I whispered so only Peter could hear. 'But if we're supposed to find a way off this boat, I have to pretend I'm not on your side.'

Taking Peter to the test room, Ivo greeted me there. Tying Peter to a chair, I shut the door and went back outside to talk to Ivo.

'What do you want me to do to him?' I asked Ivo, slightly shaking with nerves.

I didn't want to hurt Peter, but I was worried what Ivo was going to make me to him. He might make me expose him to more radiation, or some other sort of torture.

'I want you, Aria, to get him to tell us where the journal is,' Ivo declared. 'I've seen how you can shoot. Now I want you to learn... other ways in which you can use an arrow.'

'What, what do you mean?' I asked anxiously.

I really didn't like the sound of it. And Ivo clearly wanted me to make him talk. But, using an arrow? I didn't think it was possible to do something you would with a knife with an arrow.

'Let's see if he'll tell us, first,' Ivo grinned.

'Wh-where is the journal?' I asked Peter, making my way back into the room.

'I can't tell you, Aria,' Peter said, looking at Ivo in fright. 'I can't let anyone get hold of the Mirakuru.'

'But Ivo's using it for, for good!' I said, trying to make him speak before I had to hurt him.

I know I didn't want Ivo to find the journal, but it was better taking that risk instead of hurting a friend. I could try and destroy it before Ivo could use it.

'I'm not telling you!' Peter shouted. 'I can't! And I don't care what you do to me anymore. I just want the world to be safe.'

'Well, your wish is our command,' Ivo smiled. 'Aria? Will you do the honours?'

Trembling in terror, I took the arrow Ivo was holding out to me and walked towards Peter.

'Wh-how-?' I choked back tears.

'Just, go with your instincts,' Ivo advised.

My instincts were to run. But I couldn't run from this.

Choosing the least painful spot, I dug the arrowhead into Peter's forearm. As he started to yelp in pain, I felt sick at the sickness I was creating. It was abominable what I was doing. I couldn't do it.

'No,' I took the arrow away quickly, before any real damage could be done. 'I want no part in this, Ivo! I- I can't take it! I'm sorry, Peter.'

Fleeing, I ran forward to get away from that place. That room. I couldn't cope with the things Ivo wanted me to do. It wasn't right. It was sick. And I kept telling myself that I wouldn't succumb to evil schemes or turn to the dark side.

Finding the deck of the ship, I took a breath of fresh air, the cool breeze passing over me and calming me. The movement of the boat made me feel at one with my surroundings as I concentrated on being the sea and the sky.

As the birds of the island flew over the stationary boat, I longed to be like them, free and soaring high through life. When I had decided to move out and live at the university all those years ago, I felt like I was making a new chapter in my life and free to live how I wanted, but soon fate took its course and I lived in the shadow of my dreams.

I was never free. And I didn't think I ever would be. From pain, from danger. From this retched island.