Chapter 62

As morning came, I fumbled in my pockets for the key. I was sure it had been a dream, but I soon realised it had been reality as I felt the cold metal shape of the key against my fingertips.

Now I just had to find the right time to use it.

'How are you holding up?' Anatoly asked through the bars separating our cells.

'I feel much better,' I smiled.

'Good,' Anatoly smiled back. 'You're being very optimistic.'

'I have a good feeling about today,' I just said.

I couldn't give away the fact that I had my cell key; Ivo was still listening in. This was my only chance of escaping, and I couldn't screw up this time.

As the crew left for their lunch break, I took the key from my pocket and stood at the door of my cell. My hands shaking, I started to turn the lock, my mind making me think of worst case scenarios and things that could happen to hinder my escape.

'I'll come back for you, Anatoly,' I nodded as he saw me go.

'Good luck, Aria,' he nodded back. 'I have faith in you.'

As the only guard advanced towards me, I swung my fist at him, ducking from his punch. Kicking him in the side, he dropped his gun and held his stomach, too weak to bear the pain. Before he could follow me, I ran to the transmitter room, knocking other crew members out with the barrel of my gun. I didn't want to shoot anyone without needing to.

'Step away from the transmitter,' I commanded to Ivo, pointing the gun at his head.

'You won't get very far, Aria,' Ivo smirked arrogantly. 'I have men all down that corridor. They'll have seen you.'

'They're down,' I informed him. 'And all the others are on their stupid lunch break. So, Ivo, I suggest you step away from the transmitter.'

'Oh, two can play at this game,' he said in a laugh, taking his gun out too. 'You wouldn't shoot me, would you? You don't have it in you.'

'Drop the clichés, Anthony,' I hissed, trying to sound tough to hide my nervousness and fear. 'I don't think you would shoot me, either. You put so much time and effort into me; it would be a shame to waste all that hard work, wouldn't it?'

'Oh you underestimate me, Aria,' Ivo said, pulling the trigger of his gun.

Before the bullet could leave the gun, I twisted Ivo's hand, the shot firing upwards and ricocheting off the roof to Ivo's shoulder.

'And you clearly underestimate me too,' I smiled grimly as he tried to stop his elbow bleeding.

With his free hand, he tried to shoot at me, but he missed every time as I dodged the bullets quickly, his aim considerably poorer with only one hand free. He then decided to run at me, but I defended myself with my arms and kicked him in the chest, where he had kicked me.

'You-' he wheezed, holding his chest.

'Save it,' I interrupted. 'Now you can see what it feels like.'

Before he could do anything else, I knocked him out like I did with the others and immediately went to the transmitter.

'Sara,' I called through the transmitter. 'Sara, it's me, Aria.'

No response.

'Sara!' I called again.

'Aria!' I heard her voice. 'If Ivo put you up to this-'

'He didn't,' I reassured her. 'He's out.'

'You... killed him?' Sara asked, sounding both joyous and scared.