Chapter 10

Central City? I was shocked. I thought Merlyn wanted me at Starling.

'600 miles from Starling ,' he added unhelpfully.

'Thanks, Merlyn,' I said sarcastically.

'Merlyn?' he asked, seeming hurt. 'That's your name for me?'
I ignored him. I couldn't call him by his first name, it just seemed too personal. And he was far from a person. 'Merlyn' seemed unattached; professional. 'Malcolm' sounded like I'd known him a long time and I liked to be friends with him. That's why I picked the former.

'Why are we here, Merlyn?' I asked to annoy him again.

'We are here,' he started. 'Because you're attending college here.'

Collage? I had been there after leaving high school. Oh, wait, this was America. They called part of a university a 'college'.

Merlyn took me to another of his many cars, the sound of many different aircraft taking off and landing apparent in the background. It seemed many people like to visit Central City. I was an exception.

The journey to the Central City Criminology College was much more interesting than my last ride. My surroundings were new and intriguing to me, and, never being in America before, I was even more amazed. City buildings, even in London, would be dwarfed by the ones in Central City, the skyscrapers reminding me of pictures I had seen of New York as a child. But, this was 2003, stuff like this wasn't as apparent in England yet. The Gherkin, a new instalment in London, had only been completed as of this year.

'You look amazed,' Merlyn commented. To be honest, I'd forgotten he was there, and I wished that thought had lasted longer. And he was getting no response from me. I had already gotten bored of niceties.

---

As we pulled up outside an old, grand entrance, Merlyn's chauffeur opened the door for me. At least he was being polite and had used the power of his legs to aid me, unlike Merlyn, who just sat back and watched. Thanking the man, I exited the car and took the place in.

The entrance to the college was clad in old brick, its red colour still present and unfaded. The huge, oak doors stood open, inviting people in, and I could see modern extensions to the back of the building in contrast to the old front. At least this part of my life would be more promising.

'Mister Merlyn has provided all your necessities and luxuries for you, ma'am,' the chauffeur said, his pronunciation perfect.
Luxuries? What did he mean by that? And what had I been provided with? Merlyn sure wanted me to like him.

Making my way through the doors, tried to smile and wave at passers by, but I failed at being optimistic from previous events. I just wished I was back home, safe and sound.

---

'Welcome to Central City,' the woman at the desk said, obviously recognising the newcomer. Usually people joined at the start of the year, not in the middle. 'You're Aria Coleman, right?'

I nodded and looked down at the list of information Merlyn required me to know. My cover story. Apparently I was an orphan with no siblings and had funding from Merlyn Global Group due to my 'gifted talents'. Cliché.

At least I was allowed to keep my name.

'Here is your room key, ID card and information pack,' the lady continued, passing the items over. 'Enjoy your first day!'

I thanked her and continued towards the residence building, following the map at the back of the pack. My room seemed to be at the furthest corner of the building, and the hardest to get to. Of course, Merlyn wouldn't want me to associate myself too much with other people.

Typical.

After twenty minutes of finding my bearing around the complex, I unlocked the door and stepped inside my new home for the time being. And it was definitely provided by Merlyn. I was on my own, unlike most if the dorm rooms around the building, and the room was furnished with a fairly big walk-in-closet, a decent bathroom, a comfortable bed, a few dressers and its own small kitchen. It seemed Merlyn had been waiting a long time for someone like me.

A large trunk laid on the bed, full of needed equipment, books and art sketchbooks. Merlyn really had done his research on me. A new, flip mobile phone, released just this year also lay there, making me actually realise how much money and connections Merlyn had. And it had been custom-made to be turquoise, my favourite colour. It was definitely different to any other phones out there!

I then started to retrace my thoughts. Merlyn wasn't being generous or kind. It was bribery, trying to win me over. I couldn't fall for his trap, no matter how much he spent on me. He was downright evil.

And I was never going to join him in his work. I was not a killer.