𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑒:𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑤𝑚𝑒𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑙𝑑

CHAPTER NINE : SHOW ME YOUR WORLD

'Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing'

Pulling her knees to her chest, Melody sat on the front doorstep, the dark sky casting shadows against the fairy lights scattered across the hedge covered driveway. A cigarette sat between her lips as she listened to the silence of the world around her.

She couldn't sleep.

Not with the thought of the man who was disappointed in her was sleeping down the hall from her. So instead, she hand climbed out of her window and settled on the front doorstep, knowing she made a wrong move when she tried the door and it was locked.

Huffing around the cigarette, Melody tapped the floor next to her as she pressed the screen on her phone, it lighting up showing the time: 2:37 am.

She could feel the door open behind her causing her to roll her head back slightly, eyeing Sebastian as she blew smoke out of her lips as they parted ever so slightly, still holding the cigarette between them. He wore what he was previously wearing, his hair a little more dishevelled due to what Melody thought was where he was sleeping.

She let her head drop back to its normal place, turning her phone off as she put it next to her almost bare thigh. Lifting her fingers to the cigarette, she pulled it from her lips flicking the ash off of it before muttering, "Not going to get mad at me?"

She heard him sigh as he joined her on the doorstep, letting the door shut behind him before he leaned back onto it holding his fingers out. Melody turned slightly, raising an eyebrow at the man who let out a sigh.

"I can't judge you, you're a big girl now, it's up to you what you do in life," Sebastian spoke, shuffling forward ever so slightly so he sat closer to the girl. His hand slipped into her jumper pocket, the girl gulping as he inched his lips closer to her ear, keeping her eyes forward as he whispered, "And anyways, I smoke too."

Pulling away, the man shook the cigarette packet, pulling one out before placing it between his lips, chucking the packet into the girl's lap. He then reached into his own pocket, pulling out a lighter, lighting the cigarette as the girl turned her head to look at him, curious eyes staring into his own.

Melody just shook her head at the man, taking another drag from her own, her lips parting ever so slightly as she leaned against the door behind her. They continued to smoke in silence, the girl inching her barefoot closer to her chest as she gently tapped out the stub of the cigarette out on it-making sure it was out of Sebastian's sight as she did so.

"What does it feel like?" The man flicked his cigarette away from them, leaning against the door as he turned his head to gaze down at the girl next to her. She curled in on herself as she turned her body to face him, her pyjama shorts barely being covered by her jumper.

"What does what feel like?" She whispered back, closing her eyes as she leaned her head back ever so slightly.

Sebastian watched her as she did, keeping a hum caught in the back of his throat as his eyes inched down her body. Forcing his eyes off of her body, he gazed towards the stars in the sky, clearing his throat.

"Getting high." He spoke, a beat of silence passed before he turned his head back to the girl looking at her now open eyes, "Is it worth it?"

"I can't explain it." She whispered, eyes glancing to the man who was staring at her, "It's- it's something I can depend on, it's always there no matter the situation."

Sebastian hummed, his gaze turning away from the girl. Gulping, the man bit his lip, praying to whoever that was watching down on them would keep him safe as he spoke, "Could I try it?"