𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑟𝑡𝑦𝑓𝑖𝑣𝑒:𝑎𝑠𝑝𝑎𝑟𝑘𝑜𝑓ℎ𝑜𝑝𝑒

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE : A SPARK OF HOPE

'A flicker of a flame may burn but the extent to which it grows means so much more than pain.'

After a while of explaining and sympathetic looks from Dorian, Melody was sat with a hot chocolate between her hands, books of pictures showing her of the older woman when she was younger.

Mel's fingers brushed against the photo in front of her, Dorian's younger self smiling back at her through the photo while the man next to her had his arm wrapped around her waist, his eyes glued to the side of her face. She heard countless stories of how she had found the love of her life when she was only seventeen. And he was twenty-eight.

They weren't allowed to be together. It was deemed wrong as it still would be. But Dorian's stories grew stronger in love every time she told them and Melody almost felt herself tear up at the fact that the woman next to her was granting her to go and find the man that made her feel so different to herself.

So normal.

All she wanted was someone who's support her through the things she did. Show her the right path through life and tell her when she's leading astray.

"This man.." Dorian started, her hands holding the younger woman's on top of the table, a small smile gracing her face, "Sebastian. He's a good man?"

Melody sighed, letting her eyes fall to the table beneath her arms. Of course, he was. He'd helped her in the darkest of times and yet they had thrown everything away because of one person's opinion.

"Yeh." She whispered out, dragging her eyes to the boy sitting next to Dorian as he scoffed out.

"I could be better." He teased with a smirk making the older woman seat at the back of his head, cursing the man out in Spanish. Melody smiled at him, raising her eyebrows before wiggling them at him causing him to let out a loud laugh despite being hit constantly.

"He's a little boy. You, Melody, need a man." The woman spoke softly, her gracious smile becoming a cheeky one as she continued, "A man to show you the ways, especially when it comes to-"

"NOO!" Damian covered his ears, freeing himself from the talk about sex. As he did the two previous times. But the two women didn't continue, laughing in response to his clear childish ways.

Melody wished that she could be normal like Damian. Hell, even if he didn't think it was normal to himself. Even if he thought his life was hell up to everyone else's she just wished to have lived like he did.

"Thank you, Dory." The woman whispered out to her, giving a small appreciative smile to the older woman who gave a soft one back, smoothing her thumb over Melody's pale hand.

"Anything for you, sweetheart." She whispered out before standing from the table, swiping off the things from the table before swatting at Damian once more, muttering to him about how he still hadn't opened up the shop, only sitting and listening to the two of them talking.

Melody smiled to herself, sipping the last bits of her drink before standing from her seat, watching on at the family of two worked around quickly as customers spilled in from the now opened door.

Giving a quick look around, the woman found herself making her way out of the cafe, leaving half of the money she had left on the cafe's bar. Because even if Melody hadn't had the greatest family bond, she deemed herself lucky to have a relationship with the people running Dorian's.

*

The hotel Melody had been staying at didn't seem as lonely as it did when she got back to it after the relatively long walk she had endured getting back. She liked the silence when she first got there, often trying to bask in it before having to listen to the banging of furniture against the walls and ceiling.