twenty-six

.

.

.

"Shit!" Eli said, startling Eri.

She froze momentarily, suddenly nervous, but a look at Hitoshi told her that she wasn't the only one. Hitoshi whipped out his phone and was about to dial his Dad's number before he paused.

"...Okay which one do I call?" Hitoshi bit his lip in nervousness.

If he called his Dad, he'd surely be a little upset at them for calling them for help and then basically disappearing. But on the other hand, Hitoshi had seen his Papa mad as well and that wasn't a pretty sight at all. Plus Hitoshi didn't want to lose his eardrums either...

"Oh, oh, call Nezu! Then he can call Dad so we don't have to," Eli suggested.

Hitoshi snapped his finger in agreement only to falter once again.

"Okay but I don't have Nezu's number," Hitoshi told her. Thinking quickly, Eli pulled out her own phone and looked through her contacts to see if at any time did she save his number, only to find that she didn't either.

"Dammit, remind me to get that later," she sighed, looking back over at Eri who stared up at them with big curious eyes, still chewing on her food.

"U-um..." they heard her say, making the two contemplating teenagers look over at the little girl in slight terror.

"Do you think we should go down to the station?" Eli muttered, peeking over at Hitoshi who was still staring at the adorable little girl before them.

Eri gasped, her eyes lighting up ever so slightly. Eli quirked an eyebrow but saw how the girl's eyes gleamed over at her wings. Eli smiled, just a little, blushing slightly at the admiration.

Giggles filtered her ears.

"She likes to fly too!" the wind rang in her ear.

"Do you think I should stay here? You know wait for them to get back maybe?" Hitoshi said, scratching his arm anxiously.

He loves his parents, he really did, but the scars from the past can only fade so much. Though they'd told him time and time again, never would there be a time where they would hate him, this was a bit much.

"I'm sorry, do you want to deal with that alone?!" Eli asked quickly, in a similar mindset, although worse.

She'd been here a shorter time, and though she knew that they cared for her, enough to fucking adopt her when she was literally on the edge of adulthood. It didn't change the fact that she fucked up and the last thing she wanted was for them to abruptly change their minds because of this little incident.

Suddenly, the air around her stilled. Eli's eyes widened and her heart began to pound before she turned around to face the balcony with the sliding glass door. And there her birth mother was, her wings flapping powerfully as she flew just above the balcony.

And tightly held in her hand was that familiar white scarf.

Instead of moving, the woman stared through the glass with nothing but relief in her eyes. With a sudden yank, Shouta had pulled himself up to the edge of the balcony, his other arm tightly wrapped around his husband's waist.

Hizashi scrambled out of Shouta's hold quickly, banging on the locked glass door of the balcony with vigor.

"Kids, KIDS?!" he yelled.

Too bad Eli had already grabbed Eri and fled. Hitoshi wasn't too far behind her and the both of them had successfully hidden behind the couch before either of the parents could see them.