twenty-seven

.

.

.

When Eli woke up she was wrapped up in a cocoon of her own wings and was squished between Eri and Hitoshi. She groaned from the discomfort in her wings, as they were on the floor of her room laying on bundles of blankets Hitoshi had dragged in after stating that they needed to get to know Eri better. 

It didn't work out at all, and the three of them were asleep within 20 minutes. 

Eli had to twist and turn to get away from them eventually huffing and yanking herself back once more only to stumble back, the winds catching her from the tiny crack in the window. 

"Phew, okay..." she muttered. 

Adorned in a hoodie and a pair of sweats, she quickly slid out of the room to the hallway before heading to the kitchen finding Papa drinking a cup of tea as the news played in the living room.

Dad was in the living room in one of his sleeping bag... jumpsuit type thing drinking coffee. 

"Dad?" Eli called as she walked inside, calling attention to both of them, Hizashi instantly got up to join his husband on the couch as they both looked at her with those concerned parent eyes they had the day before when they couldn't find them. 

"Can I tell you what Eri said before I forget?" she asked. 

Her memories had always been fleeting, some things she could remember so easily and vividly, like reciting the plot lines and motivations of her stories and characters, remembering stories Hitoshi and Louis used to tell her about small funny moments that they probably wished she'd forgotten. 

But Eri was a scared little girl, and Eli didn't want to block out such memory of Eri's fear, and since her parents were Heroes, she figured that telling them seemed the smartest. 

"Of course kid," Shouta said, patting the side of him, Hizashi whipping the blanket off the back of the couch to flare over her, reminding himself to turn the heat up after this. 

"She kept saying that someone was gonna find her, but I don't think it was that Stain guy you guys were talking 'bout," Eli spoke with a shake of her head, having no problem shoving her legs up to her chest and pulling the blanket closer to her body. 

"It was scary actually... she was so scared..." Eli trailed off as she remembered the fear on the girl's face. 

As much as Eli tried, the picture burned into the back of her mind. She couldn't help but think that the image of such horror on such a young face allowed her to move as quickly as she did. 

Thinking back a little closer, she also wondered if this very same principle allowed her to act so quickly when she saw the terror on Hitoshi's face, that very same fear that Eli had. 

The fear of being abandoned and yet the simultaneous fear of being found. 

"I think somebody hurt her... but not like us," Eli said finally having the heart to look up at both of them as she referred to her and Hitoshi. 

She saw them listening intently, with nothing but concern and open ears. They didn't try to speak knowing now that Eli's words could be sudden and sporadic, and they didn't want to cut her off accidentally. 

"Like really hurt her, federal level," she said seriously, but her word choice honestly made Shouta want to laugh. 

"Well honey we have already decided to look into it, we're taking the dress she was wearing to the police station today, and we are expecting them to launch a quiet investigation," Hizashi told her, hoping she would understand why the investigation had to stay that way.