22. Gift Of New Life

The agonizing screams could be heard all through the surrounding streets of City-J, breaking the somewhat peaceful nature of the still night. The flickering patterns of fairy lights doused the neighboring homes in a rainbow of color, giving away the special significance of their particular evening: the symbolic nature not hard to miss.

A figure suddenly passed by with a rustle of wind, causing the arguably disturbing of the peace, before another heart-wrenching scream echoed around the neighborhood.

"Where are you?! I'm here, it's alright! Where are you? I'm here!" the figure yelled in a panic, landing in a side alley and looking frantically around in the darkness. The only answer received though was another horrific scream, and without wasting a second, her head snapped in the direction, before she took off further down the alley.

Fubuki knelt in front of a homeless woman lying on the ground with a little girl sitting next to her - clinging onto her arm. They were both wrapped in rasher worn-looking thick coats, shielding them against the cold. She was visibly panicked, chest heaving up and down with desperate breaths as she looked frantically over her body.

"What is it? What's wrong?" She asked, as she reached out a hand to touch her. The woman could only scream in reply, face terribly flushed and strained as she appeared to be in some form of agony.

"What is it? Are you hurt? Who did that to you?" She practically yelled in reply, snapping around the alley walls looking for a perpetrator. She stopped though when another more dainty hand came up to grab , entwining with her fingers, and she turned back. The woman was clinging to her like she was her lifeline, looking her dead in the face and shaking her head from side to side, as if she was trying to tell him something.

"What? I don't understand," She explained, giving her shed a little shake. The woman appeared frustrated, before ultimately throwing her head back and screaming again, gut deep, unable to reply.

Fubuki hopped up closer to her and grabbed her shoulder with the other hand. "Please, what's wrong? Tell me how to help you!" She asked, getting desperate. When the current bout of screaming finally subsided, she panted, while giving him a pained look, once again trying to communicate something.

"I-I," she choked, and Fubuki cocked her head slightly to the side, awaiting her answer, before her face scrunched up into a grimace, and she once again grunted in pain.

"I don't-'' Fubuki started to say, before her body froze still on the spot as she noticed a dampness around her feet, and she looked down, slowly shifting backwards away from her. What she saw made Fubuki's breath catch in her throat.

"I'm gi-giving birth!" The woman finally managed to say between gasps, sounding extremely frustrated and desperate as she gritted her teeth again.

Fubuki's eyes widened comically as she gulped audibly. All of a sudden, she couldn't breathe. Fubuki stumbled away and leant against the wall as a wave of faintness washed over her, taking in deep, gasping breaths and swallowing hard.

In and out, Fubuki , trying to calm herself down slowing the bubble of panic rising within her. She was just getting himself together when a little voice piped up between the mother's agonizing screams.

"Are you going to help my mummy, Hellish Blizzard?" The little girl says with worry and hope.

Fubuki was surprised that the kid knew who she was off the bat, didn't even state her name at all, maybe her popularity was increasing by a lot with her realizing, maybe it was also part of the Deep Sea King incident with happened the last time she was in City-J.

Fubuki lifted her from her place leaning against the wall and was met with the begging blue eyes of the little girl still perched resiliently beside her mother. She probably didn't entirely understand what was going on, but she reminded him that there was no way she was going to leave their poor woman to suffer on her own, late at night in a dangerous city like City-J, to give birth in a gloomy alley.