49. First Steps of Redemption

At the police station, an officer interrogates Garou if he regrets having dined and dashed in a restaurant.

"And that's when I realized. 'What the world needs is not based justice but absolute unbiased evil.' A true peace through unbiased evil that no heroes just can't achieve. A half-assed peace made by heroes just makes people complacent in their hearts, and that complacency leads to evil deeds. Also, humans aren't punished for their misdeeds. That's the crucial difference between them and monsters. Am imperfect fake brand peace that turns humans evil…A peace where you can't even make things right for one ugly little brat getting picked on in a corner of the park. I knew what I had to do. I would renounce that kind of peace. I'd get stronger than anyone else! I'd become the absolute monster! That no justice could ever take down!"

"...You realize this is a dine-and-dash investigation. You regret what you did?" The officer calmly asked as if he didn't really need to hear any of the other stuff.

When he does not answer the question and instead talks about his beliefs, Fubuki knocks him from behind his head, "Just answer the question, Teen-wolf."

After leaving the police station, Fubuki tells Garou he must apologize to the victims of his hero hunt, "Quite the road to the investigation about you hunting down a lot of heroes since last week. Now we can finally make some amends with apologizing to every hero you hunted, well except for Death Gatling."

"Hmph. Don't tell me what to do. You're not my mom."

Fubuki rolls her eyes, "This classy lady may not be good for much but it's still a work in progress, considering that me of all people is actually helping your ass out."

"Heh. What the hell."

"But it was considered a coincidence that I was able to find you."

~~~

"Bang told me about this secret training grounds up in the mountains for meditation and training. So when he told me the location, their you were meditating underneath a waterfall." 

Fubuki stood over a hill with a walking stick spotting Garou himself.

Garou opened one of his eyes when he sensed Fubuki's presence, "Found me already, Chilly."

~~~

Much to Garou's annoyance, who responds saying the reason he is with Fubuki is that he may recall his fighting style, "The only reason I came to you was because I wanted to remember "My Fist." I found by hunting heroes that I can't find anyone else besides you, Spider-man, the old geezers, that's good enough to spar with on a daily basis."

"So you considered me good even though you kicked my ass when you were in your monsterfication form?"

"Something like that." Garou replies as his goes into his thoughts, 'Back then, I got decked before I even knew what had happened. After that I completely forgot all the secrets that had awakened in me since turning into a monster.'

Something else came to Garou, "Oh yeah, how's he doing?"

"Ok, who's 'He?'"

"Tareo, I mean."

"Aw, you do care." Fubuki said with a glee in her eyes as she clasped her hands together dramatically.

A tick mark forms on Garou's forehead, "Just answer the question before I hunt you down!"

Fubuki giggled in her hand, "Alright. Alright. Based on reports from Spider-man. He's doing amazing."

~~~

Meanwhile, in a playground at a park, Tareo is playing with his friends in a game revolving around villains and heroes. The four of them played rock paper scissors, Tareo chose rock while the other three conspired to shoot paper making Tareo the monster. As soon as the kids started to attack him to their surprise alone, Tareo gets back up to retaliate, striking a pose much like Garou, "You thought I was some kind of monster?! I'm Garou-man the Hero. No matter how much I get beat, I'll always get back up again! Come at me at once, you fake heroes!"

~~~

Back to the conversation between the rivaled prodigies, 'Do your best, Tareo. I'll do the same thing.' Garou thinks to himself with a smirk as he looks up at the sky. 

Even after Fubuki had gained full Cosmic powers, she accidentally read that part in his mind which caused her to smile, 'I need to get the hang of these abilities. I'll probably have Spider-man continue showing me the ropes.'

Garou expresses his wish to spar with Spider-man and her again when he once fought as a monster at least ones he remembers fighting, "Fubuki, think you could ask Bang to arrange something for me. The ones I fought after I turned into a monster were you, Bomb, Bang, Flashy Flash, Spider-man, and there was this other guy I encountered before turning into a monster, the new Class-S rank 1 guy, Saitama or something. If I can take them all in order I could be able to remember "My Fist." without the use of monsterfication."

"Oh, are you still going to go for a route of being a hero once you completely master your 'Fist.'?"

"Probably."

"Well, better hope I won't be the first one to kick your ass and if not, Spider-man will most likely still go easy on you."

"Tch, in your dreams, the man you're getting married to is such a softie."

"He is but he can be serious when he wants to be."

"Speaking of, when is the wedding?"

"A few months from now."

~~~

At the Hero Association Headquarters, Sitch discusses with Sekingar regarding Silverfang's resignation to quit being a hero, saying the old man wishes for a prodigy to take his place.

Spider-man and Fubuki's resignation as heroes and their desire to help out the same person came noticed after Sweet Mask mentions about the deed they had done, with Sekingar not realizing that Garou is the person in question. Knowing that the heroes will oppose Garou joining them, Sitch nonetheless accepts that preparing for Shibabawa's last prophecy is paramount.

~~~

The prodigies continue strolling around. Fubuki soon asks Garou which type of girl he likes, "Garou, are there any women you are attracted to?"

"Huh! What the hell! You're creeping me out!"

"It can be an idol or anyone, honestly. Hunting down heroes is one thing but a question like that was able to catch you off guard?"

"Well if you twist my arm."

"I can crush you with skyscrapers or a meteor if you want in my base form."

Although Garou is taken aback by this woman asking such a question, he eventually answers, "The girl who plays Gau yellow in Gau-Ranger. Her names Kiiro or something."

"The actress from the Sentai show. Not too bad. Aren't the yellow rangers supposed to be the loving cuddling types? Haven't really seen those shows since I was a kid."

"Hah, your info is out of date, Blizzard."

"You calling me old, Teen-wolf? I'm in my prime just so you know." Fubuki sends a playful smirk at Garou's direction.

Before long, the two begin a discussion about the current state of sentai shows. In the drained remains of the sea following the Monster Association incident.

Saitama, Spider-man, and Genos are searching for what's left of his the Baldy's apartment, while a shrunk Overgrown Rover sits on the shoreline and watches them.

~~~

His house was totally unlivable now, but all his things were fine! That was good! Besides, the Hero Association was giving him a room in the big old fancy building where City A used to be. They said he could have an S Class room if he wanted, instead of an A Class room. Saitama had yet to tour the rooms, so he hadn't decided where he wanted to stay yet.

"Sensei!" Genos cried from outside.

"Yeah!?" Saitama yelled back, looking over his shoulder as he balanced his manga on top of his television.

"Come look at what I have found!" Genos yelled back.

"I'll be there in a second!" Saitama yelled. Saitama waddled over to the balcony and hopped off, falling seven stories until he hit the ground. Saitama bent his knees to absorb the impact so his manga wouldn't fall. Saitama gently placed his television on the ground next to the vehicle the Hero Association lent him. Saitama rose and brushed his hands before turning to Genos. "Wow! That's a big dog!"

Genos was holding a big black dog in his arms. But when Genos presented the dog to Saitama, the bald hero noticed something. Namely, the six eyes that glowed orange like hot coals. Saitama reached out and grabbed the dog from Genos. "Hey boy! You're a lot smaller than you used to be."

"You know this creature?" Genos asked.

"Yeah. His name's Rover, I think. He was one of the Monster Association Cadres," Spider-man said, looking in the dog's eyes.

"I see. In that case, I shall eliminate the monster with haste," Genos said, his arm glowing as he charged up his flamethrower.

"No. I think I'll keep him. He doesn't look ferocious anymore does you? Do you?" Spider-man asked Rover. Rover's tail started to wag. "See? Does that look like the face of a monster to you?"

"..." Genos stared at Spider-man, ignoring the six burning eyes that shone on him pupillessly.

"Besides, I've never had a pet before. Could be fun," Spider-man said. "So Rover, what do you say buddy? You wanna be my pet?"

"Arf!" Rover barked, the sound like a shotgun. His tail wagging sped up.

Saitama grinned. "I think that's a yes on his part."

"Do you have an interest in dogs?" Genos asked.

"Eh, not really. But they are man's best friend," Spider-man said, while Saitama was placing Rover on the ground. The monstrous dog shook himself, then started panting. "Could be fun. What's another stray?"

"I see," Genos said. A sound beeped from his wrist. "Sensei. I must depart for Dr. Kuseno now. Remember, we have that meeting with Sitch tomorrow afternoon."

"Right! Almost forgot about that," Saitama said, snapping his fingers. "Alright, I'll see you later then."

Genos nodded to him before running off. Spider-man looked down at Rover. "Well then. You want to help us load up the car?"

Rover wagged his tail. Spider-man grinned, lifting his TV and manga off the ground. Saitama hopped up to the all-terrain truck the Hero Association lent him and found a good spot to put them. Rover hopped up after him, sniffing around the truck and his possessions. "Alright, stay here, I've just got a couple more things to pack up and then we'll be off."

Saitama stepped down from the truck and hopped back up seven stories to his apartment. Let's see, he already packed his futon, his TV, manga, computer, clothes, hero uniform, dishes, cactus, photos, the money he had stashed around, his toothbrush and soap. His new apartment would be fully furnished, and all the food in his fridge had gone bad, smushed to pulp in all the chaos. His chair and table broke too. Which sucked, cause Saitama liked his chair. It was cozy. The same process goes for Spider-man, as Saitama gave permission for Spider-man to live in the Class-A apartment buildings since he had no other place to go to.

"Woof!" Rover's bark came from behind him. Saitama turned to see Rover walking through the balcony door.

"I thought I told you to stay in the car," Saitama scolded. Rover whimpered, his tail sagging, and Saitama sighed. "I supposed it's not your fault. I bet you want a snack. Come here." Rover perked up, trotting over to Saitama's side. "I don't really have a lot, since everything in here got trashed, but here. Have some sausage." Saitama tossed the dog the sausage, and he chomped them down in one bite. Brushing his hands, Saitama picked up his rice cooker. "I think that's everything. Come on guys. Let's go to our new home."

Saitama loaded up the truck and jumped in the driver's seat. Literally jumped. The damn truck was so tall. The tires themselves were almost as tall as Saitama. But Saitama supposed they needed to be to get over all the rubble and rocks, but still, it was enormous. Saitama patted the seat, and Rover hopped up next to him. The drive took a few hours. After all, the City A headquarters was over a thousand miles from the City Z abandoned zone. Luckily, the truck they gave Saitama was fast. And there wasn't much traffic in City Z and B. It seemed like the world was taking a few days off after the quite literal earth shaking events of the Monster Association raid. Rover stuck his head out the window, enjoying the wind whipping in his face. Saitama couldn't help but smirk. Monster or not, dogs will be dogs.

Saitama rolled up to the gate of the Hero Association HQ. He rolled down his window. A little box sat before the enormous metal gate. A robotic female voice spoke from the box. "Please show your identification."

Saitama pulled out the little plastic card the Hero Association gave him. It was like a driver's license, except black with gold letters. It was stylish. Saitama held it up to the box.

"Identity confirmed. Welcome, Class-S rank 1, One Punch Man," the voice spoke. Saitama frowned, still not happy with the name. Maybe he could change it. "Please standby while we scan your vehicle."

"Scan my vehicle?" Saitama asked. "For what?"

"Scan complete. Please standby," the voice replied. Saitama pouted, and crossed his arms as he leaned back in his seat. He had hoped to get all settled in today, but it was only an hour or two from sunset. The reception desk might already be closed. He might have to wait until tomorrow to get a room.

Just then a massive robot dropped to the earth in front of the car. It wound up its massive, spiky, club-like arm and prepared to smash the truck and all of Saitama's possessions. In the blink of an eye, Saitama cracked the metal arm in half. The robot went stumbling back.

"Recalibrating," the deep robotic voice emanated from the robot. It rose back to its full height, the red eyes blinking rapidly. Saitama stared back at it as the other arm rose up to attack him. But before it did, it stopped.

"I would appreciate it if you didn't destroy my robots, Saitama," Bofoi's voice called from the robot, it's body frozen like stone.

"Maybe they shouldn't attack us then. All our stuff is in this car!" Spider-man cried out to prove a point.

"Apologies. Scans indicated there was a non-human organism in your vehicle, and judged it to be a threat. Clearly my monster detection programs still have some bugs," Bofoi's voice said as the robot powered down.

"Nah that was probably just Rover," Saitama said.

"Pardon?" Bofoi's voice asked.

"Genos, Spider-man, and I found Rover while digging around for my house. Decided to keep him," Saitama explained.

"Surely you do not mean Overgrown Rover, one of the Cadres of the Monster Association?" Bofoi asked.

"Well, I wouldn't call him overgrown anymore. He's harmless," Spider-man said absently.

"Saitama," Bofoi's voice said gently to the rank 1 hero ignoring Spider-man. "I cannot in good conscience allow you to bring a Dragon Level monster into the most important and secure facility in the world."

"He's docile now," Saitama said, waving a hand. "Isn't that right, Rover?" From inside the truck, Rover barked. "See?"

"Even if it is as docile as you say, it is still a massive security risk. What if it decides to attack? Or someone provokes it? I'm sorry Saitama, but you cannot bring that in here," Bofoi said.

"Well, Spider-man wants him. So you're going to have to redo your little security system so him and I can take him for walks without punching a bunch of robots every time," Saitama said, crossing his arms.

"You are not bringing a Dragon Level monster into the Hero Association headquarters!" Bofoi's voice yelled from the powered down robot.

"And how are you going to stop us?" Saitama asked.

Saitama heard a sigh as Bofoi began to speak. "Why must everything be so difficult with you? You do understand that it is a monster capable of destroying cities and killing hundreds of thousands?"

Saitama shrugged. "Not if we keep an eye on him."

No response came from Bofoi for a moment. Saitama tapped his foot on the ground. He wondered how much trouble he would get in if he just busted the robot and the door. "That's…not the most unsensible thing you've said. Fine. But, if you are going to keep Overgrown Rover in your care, I must insist on giving him a collar capable of giving an electric shock capable of rendering it unconscious."

Spider-man shrugged. "Seems fair enough. Thank you for understanding, Bofoi, sir."

"Very well. I will drop it off to you tomorrow," Bofoi's voice said as the metal gate slid open.

"Thanks Metal dude." Saitama said.

"Call me Metal Knight. It's more professional," Bofoi's voice said as the giant robot trudged away. Saitama and Spider-man just shrugged as they got back in the truck. As he drove into the Hero Association, getting their new apartments organized.

~~~

Few days passed when several black cars came speeding up to the parking lot, skidding to a stop as they pulled into the Hero Association.

Out of the cars stepped Fubuki and her gang of businessmen. Spider-man still didn't get why she insisted her whole group dress like they were about to head to a business conference, but if that's what made her happy.

"Hey! Spider-man! Is that you? And is that a dog? Feels like I've seen it before." Fubuki called.

"Yeah. What's up with all the riot gear?" Spider-man asked, looking at the forty odd people behind wielding weapons.

"Something's come up. I need you to come with me," Fubuki said.

"Really? What's the situation?" Spider-man asked.

"There's no time to explain! Every second we waste is another second she gets closer but it was all make sense!" Fubuki cried. "Everyone! Follow me! Spider-man, if you're going to help out, you come too!"

"Right. Come on Rover, let's see what all this fuss is about," Spider-man said. Rover hopped with joy and trotted after Spider-man and Fubuki. Fubuki led him and her group to an elevator. She, Spider-man, and a few of her group loaded into the first one, and she promised the rest of her group would follow as soon as they could. "So, where are we going?"

Fubuki didn't say anything for a moment. She had her arms crossed and her eyes closed, scrunched in what looked like concentration. If he had to guess, Spider-man thought she was gathering her power. "In the aftermath of the Monster Association battle, a prisoner was brought in. Although injured and exhausted by her battle with Tatsumaki, Psykos was still able to put up quite a fight. Ever since, she has been kept in the detention center with a sedative keeping her unconscious. Her prisoner status was entered onto the Hero Association website this morning. If we're lucky, she hasn't seen it yet."

"Psykos?" Spider-man asked. Just then, the doors dinged open. A large corridor was revealed to them. Directly across from them, several men in suits sat on the floor in front of a blonde man with scars on his forehead in a trenchcoat. He wore mascara around his eyes, and his thin lips were pulled back in a tight grin. In a seat, a woman sat with her head tilted back, drool dripping from her mouth.

"Halt right there! This visitation is over!" Fubuki yelled, her hands lighting up with psychic power. "Evacuate the area immediately!"

"Ah, the Blizzard of Hell. The weaker of the famed psychic sisters," the blonde man said, smirking as he turned towards them. He was radiating massive villain vibes. Like, cool it already. "What a surprise. I was surprised your sister didn't come first."

"You're lucky she didn't. Otherwise you'd be dead already," Fubuki said. "She still holds a grudge against you bastards from Tsukuyomi."

"The Tsukuyomi?" Spider-man muttered.

"Oh contraire, I was hoping she'd show up," the blonde man said, his smirk widening. Seriously, was he trying to tell everyone he was a bad guy? "But I'm glad you showed up first. Makes things a lot easier."

"I think you'll find that I'm not so easy to defeat," Fubuki snarled, launching bullets of psychic power at the man.

The blonde psychic had to quickly put up a barrier to protect himself but the bullets penetrated through the barrier barely missing his body. With his other hand, he pointed at the wall with his pointer and middle finger. The security cameras smashed to bits, and the three men accompanying the blonde psychic were knocked unconscious. 

Funny enough, the psychic power he wielded was as yellow as his hair. The blonde psychic jumped into the air, floating on a carpet of psychic power. "We'll see about that.”

He pointed at Fubuki with his fingers, and the ground shook beneath them. Spider-man was the only one unbothered by it. With Fubuki off balance, the blonde guy flicked his wrist and sent Fubuki flying into a wall. Spider-man just grunted.

Fubuki was talking a lot of smack to get thrown around like this. Luckily, the wall she was in crumbled around her, and with a shout, a vortex of cement launched itself at the blonde guy. The rock smashed into a shield that the man made, but Fubuki was moving, flying faster than the eye can track at the blonde guy, her fist glowing blue with power stored in it. 

Fubuki's fist hit the blonde man in the face and he was pushed back a few feet in the air. He snorted, tilting his head back. Fubuki rushed in for another attack, but the man snatched her wrist. He smirked at her. "Really?"

With a shoving motion, Fubuki was thrown across the area. When she flipped backwards to land on her heels, there was an enormous boom. The whole building shuttered. Spider-man smirked. "Oh you are in trouble now blondie.”

The Tornado of Terror descended through the ceiling, concrete flaking like dead skin cells. "What is she still doing alive?"

The blonde guy and Fubuki both raised their hands, green and yellow light surrounding the woman in the chair as chunks of concrete fell on her. They crashed against the barriers, tumbling away.

Tatsumaki scowled. "What are you pulling, Fubuki? Are you protecting this monster? Have you been brainwashed?"

“Wait Miss Tatsumaki! You can't kill Psykos!” Spider-man called out.

The pressure in the room increased.

"Spider-man! I can still hold off my sister's power for a little while more." Fubuki exclaimed through grit teeth. "You're the only one who can get her to calm down! Quick! Before she destroys the whole building! But take of the Tsukuyomi member first.”

“You got it. Just need a few seconds to transform.” Spider-man said..

Spider-man blinked thoughtfully, but as he did, a crack opened up in the floor below him, “Oh shiiiiit!” He grabbed Rover as he shoots a web line to the ceiling.

“Web-head!” Fubuki yelled out in shock as the floor closed, cutting the web line in the process.

He and Rover plummeted into the darkness below. He landed with an "oomph," Rover landing right next to him. Immediately he noticed dozens of monsters milling about, all staring at him. "Hey Rover, I think I might have found you some playmates."

"Gyah HA HA! Now that the security's offline, we're gonna tear this whole building down! Goodbye Hero Association!" One of the monsters yelled. A cacophony of laughs rang out from the monsters. "And you're first on the menu!"

One of the monsters lunged at him, but Spider-man killed him with a single strike not holding back.

"HUH?" the monsters yelled.

"Alright Rover, looks like we're on damage control. You hungry?" Spider-man asked. Rover barked, his mouth brimming with fire. Spider-man smiled underneath the mask. "Good dog."

Spider-man and Rover ran around the giant room, splattering monsters against the wall. Rover was a machine gun, blasting balls of fire that incinerated monsters on the spot. The monsters, who at first tried to fight back, were running for their lives. Rover bounded after them, leaping onto one of their backs and biting its neck with his jaws. He tore its head off with one yank and incinerated it. He lunged after the next, shredding its torso with his paws and kicking off it, its stomach ripping open with the force of his jump. He launched a bunch of fireballs midair, vaporizing a group of monsters. Spider-man caught him as he fell. "Who's a good boy!"

Rover yipped, licking his face. Spider-man laughed. Behind them, a light appeared. Spider-man turned to see a door opening. "Hm, looks like we found our way out. Let's go."

Spider-man and Rover rushed towards the door and the monsters who were eagerly waiting to escape his wrath. 

Spider-man eyes glowing white as he raced up to them, punching through the twenty or so monsters who were crowded at the doorway with one blow. Guts and blood flew everywhere. Spider-man landed on a blood covered floor, a curtain of blood falling on him. 

Spider-man frowned in disgust, wiping the monster blood out of his eyes. He brushed an intestine that size of a semi off his shoulder and stood up. Tatsumaki stood with his back to him, a ball of concrete next to her. On the ground was Fubuki and the lady in the chair.

Fubuki's group raced to her. "Just what on earth is going on!?”

“You brought us here without barely any explanation and nearly got us all killed! Who the hell is Tsukuyomi!?”

“Who were those ESPers!?”

“Why would someone from our group attack us?”

"SHUT UP!" Tatsumaki yelled. "This doesn't concern you! Get lost! Haven't I told you, Fubuki? Involving yourself with weaklings like this will just let people take advantage of you. Just like this. Cut off ties with your so-called friends. This time they showed their hand. Don't make the mistake of allowing yourself to succumb to the same mistake."

"W-Wait! Miss Tatsumaki, please! If someone explains the situation to us, we can take measures against the enemy and be better prepared next time! Please allow us to work under your sister!" the dudes in suits said.

"Huh!?" Tatsumaki cried. "It's because of your stupidity that my sister's life was in danger in the first place! Fubuki doesn't need you! Honestly, you're all just nuisances! Good for nothing weaklings that hold her back! If none of you will cut ties, then I'll cut them for you!"

Tatsumaki raised her hand. "I'll kill you enough so you don't quite die…but enough to make sure you'll never work as heroes again! The hero industry won't miss you!"

Spider-man grabbed her wrist, at her side in an instant. She was so impulsive at times. "Don't you think that's enough, Miss Tatsumaki? This has gone too far for a little lecture. I…thought you were better than that.”

His grip softened as his other hand was on her shoulder, giving him a look from his mask that said please don't do this, she could tell that he was hurting inside with what she was about to do. From his perspective she looked like she wanted to harm innocent people.

Tatsumaki slowly began to process what she was about to do, letting out a sigh, she lowers her hand in defeat because she didn't want to go back to her old ways of being an arrogant hero, “Right…sorry.”

“it's fine. It's understandable on your part but all of them are strong in their own right. Saitama couldn't even stop a wolf level threat before he became too strong. If he can pull that off then anyone can.” Michael said, “You said something about a traitor. Where is he?”

Tatsumaki turned her head to the direction of where the other guy was, Spider-man disappeared in a blur as he held the body over the shoulder which he simply dropped him to the floor face first, “Alright, let's see what we got here.”

Michael placed his hand on the back of the traitor's head looking into his mind, “No this guy doesn't know shit. He was kept out of the dark of the Tsukuyomi. But there were a few hidden locations that were mentioned. Have anyone else we could ask?”

An explosion escaped the ball of concrete. The Tsukuyomi esper looked completely disfigured as he had a look that was ready to kill anyone on sight.

“That guy might know something.” Tatsumaki smirked.