Finale

Suzuka, 9th october 2023, one year after Charles' accident now.

One year since that day that we would all like to forget. One year ago we wouldnt know if Charles would be able to drive again and here is he now, just a step away from winning the championship.

Although, the word championship has been prohibited in our vocabulary in recent months. It's like he's trying to ignore it, so as not to get his hopes up.

We were laying in bed, I didnt sleep well last night so I have been just looking at Charles rest. The alarm was about to go off so I decide to turn it off. Charles used to have a habit of sleeping stretched out all over the bed, I had seen him the first few weeks we met. Now, he sleeps clinging to me like an octopus.

Right now he has an arm around my waist with one of our legs interlocked. His head was resting on my chest, right where it was last night after he comforted me after a nightmare. I guess the date subconsciously took me back to a year ago. After the accident the nightmares returned to me and the only thing that managed to calm me down was feeling Charles close to me.

I noticed it was time for Charles to wake up so he could get ready for the day. I give him a kiss on the forehead and see how he wrinkles it. I give another one to the tip of his nose and on his cheek. He makes a sound of complaint and hides his head further on my neck.

- Cariño the alarm would have woken you up anyway, it's time to get up- he shakes his head and hugs me tighter.

-I dont want to wake up, tell Arthur to put my suit on and race for me- he said with the hoarse voice of just getting up.

- Arthur is not going to win the championship for you so you can stay in bed all day Charlie- I can feel how he tenses after that.

- Don't say that word, you know I might not win it- he separates from me falling on his pillow.- Anything could happen.

- I know you will try and thats all that matters- I take one of his hands in mine and give it a light kiss- how are you feeling today?

- Terrified- he wispers- this circuit brings back so many bad memories I honestly dont care about the result of the race, I just want to finish it- he sits up in bed finishing to wake up.

- Then lets get the day started- I pulled him out of the bed, he puts his arms around my middle and starts kissing up my neck until he gets to my lips- You are kissy today, aren't you?

-I want to live without regrets- he pulls me in again and I couldnt suppress a laugh, it was slopy with more teeth than lips but still wonderful- And I want to kiss you all the time so you will have to put up with it chèrie.

He needed a P1 to win the title today. He starts P3, just behind the two Redbulls. It wont be an easy job but I now he can do it. We arrive to de paddock and everyone wanted a piece of Charles' mind. He needed to do a lot of press so he told me to go ahead and do my own thing until he finished.

It seemed a bit strange to me since whenever he came to the races I accompanied him until the press finished but I decided to take advantage of this moment to say hello to some people.

I saw Arthur and Lorenzo and decided to go talk to them but before I could reach them a little person surprised me by grabbing me from behind.

-Penelope you cant run away like that!- Kelly came running behind her daughter while I picked the girl in my arms.

- But Mum, it's Oli, look!- she took my face between her little hands as if to show her mum I was real.

- I know baby, I told you we would see her today- Kelly hughed me as best as she could because I was still holding the girl- how are you and Lover Boy going? I havent seen you in forever.- she looks at my hands as if looking for something.