51: Corruption

"How are you feeling?" Allura asked as she paused by where Lance was sat.

"A lot better, thanks." Lance smiled. "Sorry if I worried anyone."

"Yes we were worried, but that's because we want to make sure you're alright." Allura assured before she sat next to him. "Lance I've been meaning to speak with you for quite some time now."

Lance slowly placed the Altean tablet down. "Oh?"

"Do you remember when Matt, Pidge's brother was here?"

Lance nodded. "Yeah I remember, it was when Sendak escaped."

"Yes," Allura said curtly, "we have a meeting with the rebels shortly."

"I'm not leaving if that's what you're worried about." Lance said quietly.

"No. I mean... I was hoping you would stay, but there is a rather delicate problem."

"Oh?"

"Matt says that the rebels sent you to get the plans in a hope you wouldn't try." Allura said slowly.

"Why wouldn't I try? I wanted out of the Galran's reach." Lance was beyond confused.

Allura looked worried. Scared even and Lance didn't like that.

What had happened?

What was going on?

"Matt said he wasn't there at the time, but apparently the rebels are a bit wary of you." Allura whispered. "I don't know how this meeting is going to go, but I want you to know that I trust you, no matter what they say."

"They... What?" Lance said, his voice almost cracking.

Allura placed her hand on his arm offering a comforting squeeze.

"Do you know why?" Lance asked.

"No." Allura frowned. "I thought you might know."

Lance's eyes flickered across the floor.

What had he ever done to cause the rebels harm?

Had he hurt one of their guys?

Stolen one of their ships?

Had he killed one of their guys?

He really really hoped not.

"Now that complicates things." Allura sighed, sagging in her chair. "Perhaps at this meeting we can understand why they did such a thing to you."

"They send me on a suicide mission for absolutely no flipping reason!" Lance said slowly.

"Flipping?"

"I cannot believe this." Lance admitted running his hands through his hair. "I hate this."

Allura was quiet for a while and Lance couldn't be bothered to try and break the silence, so he dropped his head into his hands closing his eyes for a moment.

He had only just gotten over a collapsed lung and a fever, and yes he went into a pod but he was still feeling a little weak.

He didn't want to think about what might have happened a couple of years ago or even more recently.

He had always tried to do good things.

He hadn't ever wanted to hurt anyone or anything.

He had just wanted to escape, to survive, to get home.

Home...

"I will ask on your behalf." Allura decided. "I will get an answer and we will get to the bottom of this."