84: Foundations

Earth had been in disarray for months.

The Galaxy Garrison had forced the Galran army out of its territory. It had regained a sufficient area to house refugees and to keep them protected from the Galran's wrath.

They were holding out.

Surviving by means of science and technology.

But humans always were known as being resilient.

"The MFE's are reporting in."

"Let them land."

James Griffin entered the control room with Ryan Kinkade, Ina Leifsdottir and Nadia Rizavi behind him.

"I have bad news commanders." He admitted as he removed his helmet. "The Galran's are changing their formations."

"That can only mean two things." Admiral Sandars noted as she crossed her arms. "They're preparing for an attack, or?"

"Or they have changed their commander." Iverson answered as he watched the screens. "They're not going to give up."

"What are we going to do sir?"

Iverson turned his attention to Veronica McClain. She was very clever and had been a fundamental part of this effort, not only with strategies and technology but she worked closely with the designers for the MFE ships.

Iverson sighed heavily. "I'm open to any suggestions."

"We should put out a call." She said firmly. "A call to anyone out there in the universe who will listen."

"That will not work-" James started.

"There has to be others in this universe fighting." Veronica cut in. "The universe is huge, I refuse to believe we're the only ones fighting."

"Even if we're not," Nadia said loudly to gain everyone's attention, "the Galran's have formed a blockade and I doubt anything will get through."

"We won't know until we try." Veronica argued.

"Veronica, just because your family was hit first-"

"They kidnapped my brother!" Veronica snapped with a harsh glare aimed at James. "He was 8 years old and they took him, they didn't care that he was a child they just took him."

"Veronica." Iverson said gently as he reached towards her.

"No! They shot my dad then kidnapped my brother. I don't even know if he's alive." She explained her hands shaking as she spoke. "They could have killed him by now, and I could do nothing. But now I can and I will not let this opportunity slip past me."

"Our frequencies won't get past their blockade." Iverson stated eventually. "Not unless you figure out a way to make it past them."

Veronica deflated at that. "But we can't give up."

"We're not giving up." Admiral Sanders said firmly. "But we must be prepared to do this in our own strength. Try to find out all we can about this new commander or their new strategy. We need to find a way to stop this war."

"To avenge those we have lost." Ina said as Ryan placed his hand on Veronica's shoulder.

Veronica nodded. "For Lance."

"Lance?" She breathed staring at him.

The blue paladin scurried backwards as the blaster aimed right at him. His blue eyes flickering rapidly for something.

The shot rang out loud and Veronica almost screamed with it. But then the robot was collapsing.

Standing just behind it was Ryan Kinkade he looked, as per usual, stoic and cold.

The blue paladin didn't move for a moment. He just breathed seeming either confused or relieved.

Ryan held his hand out to him and the paladin accepted it.

"Thanks."

"Hmm."

"Lance?" Veronica asked as she ran over.

The blue paladin frowned at her. "You know my name?" He asked, attempting wiping the blood off his face but he only spread it further.

Veronica cupped his face dragging him downwards to fully meet his gaze. "You're so tall! And grown up!"

Lance leaned out of her grasp watching her with confused eyes. Then his eyes widened, he blinked twice. "Wait... Veronica?"

She nodded her eyes beginning to blur. "Yeah."

Lance blinked several more times, he looked suddenly scared as he took a step back. "I'm sorry."

Now it was Veronica's turn to look confused. "What?"

Lance shook his head. The strange device came to his hand allowing him to shoot down three sentries so quickly it made Veronica's jaw drop and Ryan's eyes widen.

"Veronica?" A voice called before hands had ahold of her, turning her toward them as they searched her for injuries. "Veronica? Are you okay?"

She nodded then stared back at Lance trying to shift the attention.

Lance had gone pale making the blood smeared on his face stand out more, he looked scared.

"It's him." Veronica whispered and she didn't honestly know which one she was talking too.

Lance or her father.

André turned to look at Lance, he took a step back. "L-lance?" He asked reaching towards him.

"How?" Lance asked his voice weak. "How are you... How... You were-"

"They missed." Andre explained, carefully cupping Lance's cheek. "They hit my shoulder, I... I woke up and... And you were-"

A single tear escaped from Lance's bright eyes and cut a clean line through the blood. It was stopped by the thumb resting there and it was quickly wiped away.

"Dad." Lance whispered and it sounded so broken, so tired that it made Veronica's chest hurt. "You're alive."

"Yes son, I'm alive."

The smile that broke out on Lance's face was bright and his shoulder dropped with a shaky breath.

It only lasted for half a second. It dropped as Lance turned lifting his arm as a shield formed to cover them both.

A blast hit the shield making the blue glow ripple.

Ryan shot the sentry down.

"Sorry, sorry." Lance said as he jumped back. He offered a sheepish smile. "I um... Sorry."

"You're alive, that's all that matters."

"Lance!" The one in green cut in as his helmet was thrown to him. "We're gonna follow them out."

Lance nodded as he tugged his helmet back on. He glanced back at them for a moment and he looked so torn.

"Wait for me." He whispered before he ran.