87: Revived

"We need to get back." Lance whispered with a frown as he stared at the water pool not far from them.

"If we move him now the strain on his body could kill him." Ryan grumbled back.

"We're running out of air, we'll suffocate if we stay." Lance exclaimed kneeling next to Ryan. "We don't have a choice."

"I'm not moving him, the water-"

"We can't stay." Lance reminded. "I know it's a risk, but staying here isn't an option anymore. We have to go."

~~~

Lance strapped the medical kits to his back then used the duct tape that they had found to strap cables to his arm and then gently stuck them to Seok's chest.

"Reading?" Ryan asked as he positioned Seok on his back.

"Stable." Lance assured glancing at his gauntlet. "If it changes I'll let you know."

Ryan nodded. "Try to keep up paladin."

Lance frowned and followed Ryan into the water.

They realised that the safest way to get Seok back to the base was to move him through the water while strapped to Ryan's back.

It would hopefully put less pressure on his body and it enabled Lance to follow them with the equipment that was scanning Seok's heartbeat and breathing.

"We're all still stable." Lance stated as he let his jetpack control his speed.

Ryan let his own set the pace, all Lance had to do was keep up and make sure that nothing got snagged.

There were too many lives in the balance here.

Emerging from the waters and finding that Seok was stable was a massive relief.

But getting him back was still an obstacle.

As Ryan and Lance pulled Seok through the rubble back toward the Garrison base, Lance's mind was whirring.

He hoped everyone at the base was okay, he hoped that Keith was stable. He hoped that they had a plan, he hoped he could help.

Seok gave a half grumbled groan.

"We're nearly there." Lance assured gently. "We're almost there."

~~~

When the base came into view someone must have spotted them. A car came out to collect them and in it was someone who knew something about how to help Seok.

"Make sure he's okay." Lance said quietly as he patted Ryan's arm. They were back in the base now and Lance just wanted to collapse.

The emotional and physical stress he had been under made him tired.

But he knew he couldn't stop he had to get this stuff to Keith.

When he stepped into the tent where Keith had been he wasn't there, in fact it was completely empty.

"Okay, this is weird." Lance admitted glancing around.

"Lance!" Veronica called as she ran over. "You're back, I just heard about Seok, are you okay?"

"Where's Keith?"

Veronica's expression dropped. "He... he stopped breathing."

Lance stared at her.

"About an hour ago." She continued her voice going softer or maybe Lance's hearing was going. "We didn't know what to do, he's a Galran and we-"

Lance had to move.