Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Ca- what the fuck happened to your hand?! Why's it all mummified?" Ember asked with a hint of humor. She yanked my arm to examine it.

"You don't need to rip my arm off!" She just rolled her eyes. "Also don't touch my hand. It's in pain." I pouted.

"Shouldn't have done dumbass shit." She mumbled. "That's what I'm assuming you did." She looked back up at me and dropped my hand.

"It wasn't that much of a dumbass shit thing to do." I groaned. "I just broke a glass in my hand."

"And why'd you do that?"

Because I got jealous and upset. "I don't know." I shrugged.

"Sounds like dumbass shit them." She smirked. Maybe she's right.

I rolled my eyes and started to walk off. "Im going to class. Bye!"

I heard her gasp at my attempt to get away from her which succeeded. "Bye then, bitch."

__

"What are you writing about?" Ember asked as soon as the teacher stopped talking.

"I don't know. I can't think of something to write about in one class, it takes me at least a day." Or more then I finish the paper in less than an hour. Makes perfect sense.

"How don't you know. It's so simple. You just have to write about what you've done, felt, gone through, stuff like that. Just write about whatever comes to your head first."

Yeah... Whatever comes to my mind first.

"Mhm." Subconsciously my hands rubbed up and down my arms. "I can try that." I looked at the floor avoiding all eye contact.

"Shit. Carter, I'm so sorry. I-I was wasn't thinking. Fuck, I'm so sorry." She rushed to apologize.

"It's fine. I'm not going to write about them anyway. I can't." I said as my eyes began to sting.

"I feel so bad. I got you thinking about them. I'm so sorry-"

"Ember, it's fine." Who am I convincing? My voice is wobbly, how can that be convincing. "You didn't mean to. They are really shitty people and I can't change what they did to me. Sure I'll have it with me forever. Literally.." I motioned to my arms. "So you accidentally reminding me is nothing."

I heard her sigh as she knew I wasn't going to say anything else. "Okay. Tell me when you find something to write about." She turned back around in her seat.

My hands stayed on my arms as I now couldn't stop thinking about them. Sure I deserved the pain. But to have it stuck with me that's a bit much. Nothing I can do about it now. Yet I still deserved it.

Now I have a reminder of my parents where I go. More of a reminder than just me being alive, yet I look nothing like them so I usually don't get reminded by that fact.

"Whatever you're thinking stop." Ember demanded getting up from her spot. "It's time for Spanish and I know you'll love that." She grabbed my hand and I winced at the pain. "Shit. I'm sorry, I forgot."

"It's fine." I said getting up, now a smile on my face as I pushed my parents to the back of my head. "Let's go." I pulled her with my other hand.

Spanish is the best class for multiple reasons. The beast reason being Miss Alex Cameron.

"No need to rip my arm off!" Ember exaggerated as I rolled my eyes.

"You are fine." I dropped the arm and she immediately held it with her other hand.

"It's ok. Did the rude lady hurt you?" She examined the arm, still walking beside me. "She did! It's okay. I won't let her near you again."

"Oh shut up. Your arm is fine."