Chapter Forty-Four

Today is Alex's grandfather's death anniversary. I know it's hard on her, so I set up something for later with Daniella, Stephanie, and Ember.

Right now I'm waiting for Alex to come out of her room. Once again she's taking forever to get ready. She doesn't even wear makeup so I don't know what she's doing.

"You think we could have a picnic there?" I heard from a ways away.

"Totally! We can stop on the way to there!" I yelled back. No way I was saying no.

Somehow I got good sleep last night. Probably because I was with Alex. I have a low percent chance of getting a nightmare when I'm with her. I don't get why.

Finally I heard her footsteps and she was coming out of the hallway. "Let's go, my love." She said in a sweat but sad tone. She already had her phone in hand as well.

We agreed I drive because she's still a little ill. So I grabbed my stuff then her hand, gave it a kiss, then out the door we went.

___

We stopped and got some stuff for sandwiches and fruit. We just walked into the cemetery.

She led us to a grave. Then just stopped. This must be it. I wrapped an arm around her back as she played with my other hand.

The silence speaks well, in this case.

Finally looked at the grave, tareing my eyes away from Alex.

Andrew Cameron

1955-2021

"So like I don't talk to the grave. It feels weird and I feel like I sound stupid. But I just come here." Alex explained. She turned and grabbed the basket.

"You can talk to me. Tell me about him." I gave her a smile as I put the blanket down.

We both sat as she sighed in thought. I gave her my hand waiting for her to play with it, she's sat right next to me. With my other hand I got out some grapes we bought.

"Well... He was always so kind." She started. "To me and my mom at least,. Even after my father divorced her, he still loves mom like a daughter. And from how my father reacted after I came out he completely abandoned his own son and didn't care about him from how he reacted. So if you wronged him, or someone he loves, you'd be dead to him." She started to play with my hand, finally seeing it. "He always gave gifts and stuff to me and my mother. Somehow they were always perfect, he always knew what to get or if it's something we should design them he makes it exactly like that. Like the house." A tear ran down her cheek as she smiled sadly.

"He was so active, he dragged me along with him. Of course I wasn't going to do it if he didn't bring me along. I just don't like that type of stuff." I wiped another tear from her face. "We did all sorts of things. Hiking, other stuff too. Lots that I don't do anymore because I never liked it, but I wanted to spend time with him, so why not. Plus with all he did for me I could do that for him."

She looked down at our hands and did an actual smile, it was small but still there. I don't say anything but continue to listen. She just needs a second but this is her time to talk. I won't intervene. Just in my head though, her dad is a dick.

"He wouldn't want me to be sad about this." She shook her head. "I'm not even sad, I just wish he was here to meet you. He always looked forward to..." She drifted off as I saw her cheer up a little.

"I'll always come here with you, whenever you want." I said. She turned and kissed me.

"I love you, my love." I felt her smile grow. I think she's cheered up!