Chapter Forty-Six

I heard her sigh, as she shook her head. "Fucking waste of a human." I felt her foot connect with my head before it all turned to black.

"Carter please! Wake up."

"Come on Carter, please."

I gasped awake, with tears in my eyes. I looked around until I found Alex, who's right next to me. She looks worried, but glad I woke up.

I buried my head in her chest, a sense of relief washed over me as I knew she was close, and was holding me. But I'm still not out of the panic, I can feel it in my chest.

"Th-their gone, r-right?" I felt her kiss the top my my head.

"Yes, my love. Far away, in prison. It just me her with you." I sadly smiled as I remembered that. "Now can you follow my breathing?" I nodded.

We breathed in and out. Her breaths followed by mine. It always helps me. Until I got better we did that. Then laid back down.

"What time is it?" I asked in a mutter.

"Almost one." Alex replied. She rubbed my arm with her thumb as we fell into a short silence.

It's only been a hour since we first went to sleep. I shouldn't have woken her up. Stupid me and my stupid nightmares.

"I'm sorry I woke you." I said, trying to get the guilt out of me.

"Don't apologize. You can't control it, you didn't mean to." She kissed my head. "I will always be here for you, through it all, Carter."

I don't deserve her.

"I'm here for to too. We're here for each other." I smiled. "And just because of my stuff doesn't mean you don't come and talk to me when you need to. Okay?" I lifted my head to look at her.

"Okay." She agreed.

I pressed our lips together in a soft kiss. "Goodnight, Alex."

"Good night, Carter."

___

I stirred awake, feeling Alex kiss all over my face. Butterflies erupted in my stomach as I made eye contact with her.

"Morning, my love." She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, it was in her face. "You have to get ready."

"These two weeks are unbearably slow!" I groaned. "So coffee?' I asked getting up.

"You can have that. But you are eating a real breakfast." She kissed my lips once more before pulling me off the bed, along with herself.

"Fine." I rolled my eyes. "I love you." I said as I kissed her hand.

"I love you." She smiled, then walked downstairs. Now to actually get ready.

I got dressed and did my stuff in the bathroom before going downstairs. Alex already made the food, eggs with toast. We ate that quickly before we left. Of course we took our own cars, sadly.

I parked in my usual spot. Then headed inside and waited for Ember. I looked at the door, never taking my eyes off it. I'm going to beat her at yelling my name. I have nothing to do anyway.

"Ember!" I yelled as she stepped foot into the building. She jumped and looked at me. Got her!

"You fucking beat me!" She scolded.

"And scared the hell out of you." She let out an annoyed huff. She can't deny it but won't accept it. "It was great."

"No it was not." She opened her locker. "My soul physically left my body. You could have killed me!"