Chapter Thirty-Nine

I locked my door as the footsteps for closer. I pushed my bed against the door and put as much stuff on it as possible.

The steps stopped as the door handle jiggled. I know both of them are on the other side. I'd go out the window but I'm not physically able to, the pain is to much from the last few days.

Their voices started to talk, I payed close attention to what they said as I started to pack my bag. Just one, I can't carry any more than that.

They started to bang on the door. Mom went to get the key, they'll be in here in no time.

"You have it?" My father asked to my mother. She didn't say anything but I know she had the key because there were no more of their footsteps.

"She fucking barricaded it! Help me come on." My father's voice said. Then the door move an inch open.

I threw my bag under the bed to hide it. It's the annual Christmas party my parents have. I haven't done what I needed and guest are coming in an hour. I'm done living here.

It flew open and the furious adults came barging in. "You know they were coming." He pushed me and I flew into the wall. "You know to clean everything fucking room! It's all a mess!" A puch connected with my shoulder.

My mother came into view just she kicked me I'm the stomach. "Just like everything else, you couldn't do it." Something collided with my head from my mother. "This world would be better off without you! A fucking failure you are!" A kick to my hip came. I finally fell to the ground.

Something shattered on my arms and upper back. Glass. They hit me over my head with the frame.

"Don't come out at all tonight. We don't need you here anyway." He spat. They both ran out of the room, slamming the door.

My body is so week but I have to leave. I used one arm and got up. There's a pool of blood around me, and my whole body is throbbing, head pounding.

Quickly but slowly I grabbed my bag. Opening my door, I did it the one way it wouldn't creek. I know they are I their room, changing or something. I listened to their footsteps.

I ran out of the house once it was clear. No matter the pain I ran like my life depended on it, ignoring every ounce of pain.

I'm just going to go to .. the cliff until I'm well enough to go to Embers. Maybe I can stay there for a few days.

When I got to the cliff my whole body gave out and I collapsed, passing out.

"Carter, come on, please wake up!" I heard.

"Carter, come on, please wake up!" I heard. "Carter! Wake up!"

My body jumped up, I'm no longer laying down. My hand flew to the back of my arms, I'm sweating. And I can't breathe right but that's fine.

"You're okay, they aren't here. It's just me." Alex said besides me. "Hey, breath with me, alright."

She took some deep breath and I followed. Wasn't the best breaths of my life, at least I'm alive... Well, meh.

My hands rubbed my arms. "Is today actually Christmas Eve?" The day the party is.

"I'm sorry Carter. We still don't have to go. We shouldn't, it'll only hurt you." It sounded like she was going to cry. "It already is hurting you. You've had nightmares nearly everyday, same for panic attacks."

A single tear ran down my cheek. This day can't be real. My hands picked at the skin on my arms.

No just no.