prologue

Despite loving living in the Dominican Republic, Ravenna Toretto wished she could see the world. Outside of her yearly trips to Los Angeles to visit family and the occasional trip to New York City, Ravenna wanted to see more than two United States overly populated cities. That wasn't going to happen any time soon, as much as she dreamt about it.

Ravenna's back was pressed against the creeper, a small flashlight between her teeth as she worked under the car she was being paid to fix up. On the weekends, Ravenna worked on the cars in the neighborhood for extra cash. Today, a foreigner found Ravenna, saying she needed to fix her car. The money she was waving around was supposed to "impress" Ravenna, acting like she had more money that Ravenna currently had in her own bank account.

However, when Ravenna was under the car, she saw no issues with it. Same with under the hood, but she worked by the hour, keeping the foreigner there, pretending she didn't understand a lick of English, Ravenna was going to milk this out as much as humanly possible.

Considering.

Ravenna was previously working under the hood of someone else's car, a neighbor who's fuel filter and battery needed replacing. The boxes were sitting off to the side with the replacement parts, and Ravenna was in the middle of fixing that car when this foreigner demanded she work on hers first, claiming it was far more serious.

Ravenna felt that a replacement battery was more important than a foreigner not knowing how to drive on the side roads of the DR. But Ravenna was getting paid to tell this woman that she was a shit driver and there was nothing actually wrong with her car.

Ravenna already knew the attitude from the woman - and of course, her words as she texted her friends, complaining. Ravenna was going to bleed this woman dry, perhaps ruin her vacation. If she was going to call Ravenna stupid for working on cars or say she must be a boy because being interested in cars is obviously a guy thing, Ravenna wasn't going to allow it.

Pushing the creeper out from under the car, she sat up slowly, removing the flashlight between her teeth. Ravenna looked down at the pebbles that had gotten stuck in the underside. That would explain the rattling, but it wouldn't cause what the woman was telling her. Ravenna suspected she was just a shit driver regardless of where she was.

Ravenna walked over to the foreigner, grabbing her wrist and placing the four pebbles into her hand. "Your problem solved." Ravenna said.

The foreigner looked at the pebbles, then at Ravenna. "What the fuck are these?"

"Tu problema." Ravenna said.

"What?"

Ravenna rolled her eyes. "Your problem." She repeated for the third time. "Pebbles. And being a shit driver." Ravenna said honestly.

The foreigner blinked for a moment before complaining. "Speak fuckin' English! I don't understand your strange accent!"

Ravenna's eyebrow rose - was it her first time in the Dominican Republic? It had to be if she wasn't used to Ravenna's accent or her Spanish. Ravenna was told by my father when she was younger that most schools in the United States offered Spanish as an "easy" foreign language.

Ravenna crossed her arms. "When you call me names and racial slurs, I decided you needed to take a lesson in Spanish." Ravenna commented in perfect English. "To answer your question, the case of your problem is," Ravenna got in the face of the foreigner. "You are a shit driver." Ravenna smirked.

The woman screeched.

"Vaina." Ravenna rubbed at her forehead. "Either get the fuck out of my garage or I'll throw you out." Ravenna turned her back to the woman, heading over to her work bench. Ravenna lifted her head from opening the box when the four pebbles hit her back, scattering to the ground behind her. Ravenna glanced behind her to the rocks, then at the woman who was speeding out of the garage, nearly hitting her car in the process. "If you crash, I ain't helpin'." Ravenna called after her.