forty-two

JJ yawned as she leaned her head on Letty's shoulder. "Tired, baby?" JJ nodded. "You had a lot of fun today, huh?" JJ yawned a second time. Letty laid JJ down in the spare bedroom. JJ's stuffed bear was already snuggled up in the covers as Letty set her down. JJ grabbed her bear, cuddling him close to her chest. Letty wiggled him a little bit, making JJ giggle. "You love this bear, don't you?"

"Daddy got it for me."

Letty smiled. Han adored JJ, spoiled her rotten, much like the rest of the family. All the children in the family were spoiled, birthdays and Christmases were more than Letty ever remembered getting.

JJ played with the bear's ear. "Mamá and daddy are gonna be okay, right?"

Letty leaned down, kissing JJ's forehead, "Of course, baby. Mamá and daddy know what they're doin'." Letty told her.

"Rome doesn't,"

Letty had to stop herself from laughing. "Rome is good at what he does too."

"Are you sure?"

"Okay," Letty pulled the covers up, covering JJ up. "Do you want me to read you somethin' or do you just want to close your eyes?" Letty asked.

"I'm tired, Tía Letty."

"Then close your eyes," Letty smoothed her hair down. "I can stay until you fall asleep, okay?" JJ nodded, turning onto her side, hugging her stuffed bear close to her chest. Letty knew all the tricks when it came to getting JJ to sleep, humming was one of the triggers that knocked JJ right out. It was something Raven did since she was a baby and had a hard time falling asleep throughout the night.

Once Letty knew that JJ was asleep, she left the room to settle in herself. Letty wasn't gonna lie, she really liked having JJ around. She was a little Han in looks, but a spitfire like Ravenna was when she was that age.

JJ's face scrunched up, feeling like she had only been asleep a few minutes. "Letty?" She rubbed her eyes.

"We have an unwanted guest." JJ whimpered, pulling the bear tighter against her. "I know, I know." The unfortunate thing that came from being a kid in this family was that they had to learn that maybe someone would be coming after their family and parents. "Go into B's room, okay?" JJ nodded, pushing away from the covers.

JJ hurried across the hall to Brian's room, hiding herself away with him in the secret hiding place. B put his finger to his lips to keep JJ quiet. "Daddy and mom will be up soon." B whispered.

"I'm scared." Even though Jiya was taught what to do if she was ever at someone's house and an unwanted guest arrived, that didn't mean JJ wasn't scared. Mamá told her that bad people could come after her because of who mamá and daddy were. JJ didn't understand that fully - she knew that some people weren't nice in this world.

Daddy took care of a bully that JJ was having in school last year, so JJ knew that the world wasn't completely nice.

That didn't stop her from being scared.

"Just hug Kookie, he'll make you feel better." Little B told her.

By morning, JJ sat next to B with her bear in her arms. They were sitting on the stairs, watching men come and go from the house, taking care of the unwanted guest from last night. JJ was playing with Kookie's clothes that Tía Mila made for him.

She looked up when she saw Little Nobody enter the house. "Lost six pints of blood. Normal person dies at four." JJ didn't understand what Little Nobody was saying, but it sounded bad. "We're shippin' her back to our black site. She might not make it." He said.

"But did her story check out?" Dom asked.

Little Nobody nodded. "We confirmed the shooting downtown, but her tech wasn't there. And whoever took it now has an electronic arsenal. You've alerted your people?" He asked.