thirty-four

Ravenna entered the apartment with JJ running before her. The backpack on her back was filled with things she did in pre-school that morning. Ravenna was looking over the mail, sorting the piece for Roman and the ones for her. JJ ran straight to the TV to turn on her favorite after school cartoon. As closed the door behind her, placing the keys on the wall with the rest of the keys that Raven and Roman had between the two of them.

"Mamá,"

"Yeah, baby?"

"Next week is Bring Your Daddy to School day." Ravenna's heart broke. The talk about Han did happen, JJ knew she had a daddy who loved her (even if Ravenna wasn't even sure if Han truly knew she was pregnant or not), but he wasn't around. Raven couldn't bring herself to tell JJ what really happened to Han. Telling her daughter the reason why daddy wasn't around was because he was killed by the person she called Uncle Deck.

Shaw wouldn't admit it, but he had a soft spot for Jiya. The birthday gifts and Christmas gifts were enough for Ravenna to know that Shaw was gonna look out for JJ even when Ravenna wasn't around. But she still couldn't stand Shaw.

Ravenna gave JJ a smile. "Well, I'm sure Roman or Tej or Brian would love to go be your daddy for the day." Ravenna said.

JJ pouted, "It's not the same."

"Jiya." JJ went silent. "What have I told you?"

JJ sighed. "Not everyone has a mamá or a daddy." Raven nodded. "And some have two mamás or two daddies." Ravenna nodded again. "But where's my daddy?" JJ asked.

Ravenna knew the day would come when JJ finally asked the question of where Han was. And again, Ravenna couldn't bring herself to tell JJ where Han actually was. "He's away, baby."

"But where?"

"I don't know, JJ." Ravenna said. The problem was, Ravenna didn't believe in Heaven and Hell, so where Han was... she truly didn't know. "I wish I knew were daddy was." Ravenna said.

"Does daddy love me?"

Ravenna's head snapped to JJ, seeing the tears in her eyes. "Oh, JJ," Ravenna walked over to JJ quickly, hugging her. "Of course daddy loves you." Ravenna kissed her daughter's forehead. "Why wouldn't daddy not love you?" She asked. "Because he's not here?"

JJ nodded, wiping her eyes.

"Some parents just aren't around, baby. Whether it is for work, or other things... but they still love their children. And there are some parents out there who don't." JJ frowned. "But daddy loves you and probably wishes he could be here, baby." Ravenna explained.

JJ thought for a moment. "There are people who don't like their own kids?" Ravenna nodded. "Why?"

"Some people just aren't parents but have children." Ravenna wiped JJ's eyes. "You know how your best friend, Calvin," JJ nodded. "You know that his daddy adopted him, right?"

JJ nodded eagerly. "Calvin and Zander are nice!"

"Yes, they are. But Zander adopted Calvin because his parents weren't nice people." Ravenna said.

"Oh."

"So, who do you want to bring? Rome, Uncle Brian or Uncle Tej?" Raven asked.

"Uncle Tej. Last time Rome came to school with me, he wouldn't stop being nice to my teacher." Ravenna lowered her head. Now she understood why she got a letter from the school the last time JJ had a "family day" that Roman wasn't allowed back. He was flirting with JJ's teacher, and probably the other teachers too.

"I'm sure Tej would love to come to school with you." Ravenna said as she stood up. "What do you want for lunch?" Ravenna walked over to the island, grabbing the mail to sort through it again. JJ told Raven what she wanted to eat. As Ravenna was putting mail into a pile for Roman, she came across another postcard.