Royal Proposal

Aaradhya's POV

It had been a month since the eventful day. My best moments had turned into a nightmare because of one person. I couldn't help but feel like I had made a mistake by trusting another man. I was blinded by his sweet talks and actions. Even my family wasn't in a good place; they believed I should have tried harder to convince him or put more effort into the relationship.

But I had put in the effort. I had tried to make the relationship work, and I had started to develop feelings for him. It was disheartening to realize that he wasn't genuine in his sweetness, just pretending to make things work, and he couldn't keep up the facade any longer.

Lately, I had been avoiding discussions with my family, leaving home early and returning when everyone was asleep. I was still working in my office when my phone vibrated. Seeing my mom's name on the caller ID, I sighed and answered the call.

"Aaru, wherever you are, come home right now," I heard my mom say before she abruptly ended the call.

I facepalmed remembering all those stabbing words, my father said on that day.

You are a grown up woman Aaru, how could you let this happen?

You should know a relationship requires sacrifices Aaru, you can't be selfish.

You should have worked harder in Aaru.

Sighing, I picked up the keys and left the building after informing Dhriti about my departure. As I walked into the hall of my house, I saw my entire family sitting there with worried expressions.

"What's going on here?" I asked.

"Aaru, tumhare liye rishta aaya hai," I heard Mumma say.

(Aaru, there in a proposal for you.)

I leaned closer, curious about the potential alliance she was mentioning.

"Rajvanshi's have proposed a match for you. They're coming to meet you next week," she continued.

"Mummy, you know what happened last month, and now you're bringing all this up again?"

"But Aaru, you're 26 now. You were supposed to be married in three months, and since a proposal has come, what's the harm in meeting them?"

I sighed, realizing it was futile to make them understand. I couldn't fathom their obsession with my marriage. I mean, I'm just 26 right now, but I still consider myself young. This relentless pursuit of marriage was beginning to wear on my nerves.

After all those frustrating discussions about meeting the Rajvanshis, I finally laid down on my bed, contemplating the direction my life was taking. I closed my eyes, and his dark, magnetic blue eyes instantly flashed in my mind, eyes that had been etched into my memory for the past five years. As much as I tried to deny it, there was always a lingering desire to see those eyes one last time.

I opened my eyes and walked to my closet. I retrieved his jacket, holding it close. It still carried his scent. Eventually, I placed the jacket back in the closet. It was then that I heard someone enter my room. Anvi was sitting on my bed.

"Yaar, your life is so sorted. The Rajvanshis have sent a marriage proposal for you," she said.

"Shut up, Anvi. My head is pounding. First Raunak, and now the Rajvanshis. I'll either go insane or drive everyone else insane. First they pushed me to chase jobs, now it's like, 'Marry him, marry her, and now you have to marry this one and that one. Oh God.'"

"Pray, Aaru, that your groom isn't an elderly bore. Otherwise-"

"Enough with the nonsense, Anvi. I'm not getting married. I've had a taste of an arranged marriage once; I don't want to go through it again."