By Chance

Zee, as he likes to call himself, likes his alone time. As a 15 year old teenager, he is still trying to find his own self and being self conscious is one of its phases. It didn't help that his parents constantly drag him into joining them to these boring gatherings. He likes to call them "show off parties" where in rich people just wants to show off how rich they are and what they can afford to wear. Don't him wrong, he is very grateful that his parent's jewelry business is finally taking off. You see, Zee's family isn't from a well known rich generation of families. They are not from a family of old money. His father started his own jewelry business with the help of his mother's designs when he was only 3 years old. His father would go to suppliers to see what is the cheapest gem or material there is at the moment, buy it from his own pocket money and then his mother would then come up with designs that would be suitable for them. His father would make the jewelry by hand and when it's done, he would sell them to either shops that would take them or on the road to whoever could pay more for it. It was not an easy road for them. There were times where in they would be in so much dept that his parents would only buy 2 portions of food. One for him and the other would be shared by his parents. Sometimes he would take pictures of the jewelries and show them to his teachers or to the parents of his classmates to see if any of them are interested to buy them. His parents got mad at him for doing so. Zee cried so hard as he only wants to ease the burden of his parents. They always tell him that it is their problem to solve. And his only job is to enjoy being a child and do well in school. After getting told off, Zee decided that he would be the best in his school to make his parents proud. He would do whatever it takes to finish his studies in the best grades so that he can succeed his parents and make their company the best in the whole country. Since then he became the quiet and very studious child who only cares about his grades. He never went to any school trips that wouldn't benefit his grades, he never went and play with other children. He buried his nose into books and spent most of his free time in the library. His classmates often call him "Nerdy Zee" but it doesn't bother him. He has a goal and he would do his very best to achieve it.

The Panich family's life changed one day after his father went to Bangkok from their hometown of Chiang Rai. He was sitting outside on the street with his small table of  jewelries when a nice lady walked past by and saw the jewelries. She walked back to him with a surprise look on her face as she look at the brooches on the table.

"Are these handmade?" She asked.

" Yes they are. All of these are handmade by me and was designed by my wife. They are all within a reasonable price too if you are interested in buying" He said.

"These are high quality materials! And the designs are very intricate! How could you possibly be selling them in the streets and with such a low price for that matter?!" She said to him. It seems like she was in a state of disbelief seeing his products being sold in streets.

"Madam, unfortunately my wife and I are not one of those with a good educational or business background. All we have are talents and dreams. And those wouldn't put food into our table. I have to go to individual shops to see if they would take them. If not then I would be here on the side of the street selling them for the price of just the materials so I can get our money back. " He said in a very sad tone with his head hung low.

She then turned silent. She looked at him not with pity, but with a disappointment in her eyes. She's not disappointed in him. She was disappointed to the society who failed hardworking people like him.

"Im sorry, I didn't get you name. What's your name again?" She asked him as he looked up to her.

"Somchai. Somchai Panich" He offered his hand to her.

"Khun Somchai I would like to buy everything please and if you have more, would you mind bringing it to me today?"

"Huh?! Ev-everything? All of these? Are you sure?!" Somchai, who is still in a state of shock asked her.

"Yes. Im very sure of it. Im getting a huge deal from you, you see. And my friends would definitely like these!"
"Madam thank you. Thank you very much! I hope all the good karma in the world bless you!"

"Oh you don't have to do that! Im really just an impressed customer" she told him as she laugh.

"Are there anymore of these?" She asked as she watch him wrap everything with care.

"There are more madam, but you see i live in chiang rai. And I just went to bangkok to try my luck here. And i think it might be my lucky day as I was blessed to meet you!"

"Oh is that so? Hmmmmm.. Here. Take my card. Could you give me a call when you would be in Bangkok again? I would like to recommend you to my friends and family"

This is when Somchai started to cry. He bowed while saying thank you to the lady in front of him

"Oh please don't do that. I am just as happy as you to meet such a good jeweler!" She said as she hand him her card.
He accepted it and put it inside his wallet with great care.
The lady then called for the woman behind her and asked her to take the boxes from Somchai.

"Dara can you please put them in my office. I will be up in a second. Thank you". Dara, who Somchai assumed as the secretary of the lady, smiled at him and took the boxes. She then walked inside the huge building behind them. The nice lady then took out his wallet and take out the cash that she needs.

"Here is the payment Khun Somchai. And don't forget to ring me. Thank you again!"

Somchai looked as the lady disappeared into the building. He can't believe it. He really can't believe it. He decided to walk to the bus station. His wife and son would be so happy to see him back early. They would even be happier when he tells them about what happend today.
And as he sits down inside the bus home. He took out the lady's calling card. He handled it as if his life depends on it. He looked at it with great admiration. He was starting to tear up again. He was so thankful and grateful to the lady. He read the details on the card and he smiled. Her name suits her very well he thought. A divine blessing indeed.

"Pornthip Perdpiriyawong"