Chapter 57: Intermission

The next day, you were back at the Outpost as you sat in a chair behind a computer. You were using the computer terminal to look some stuff about this world and how things ended up this way. While searching through some stuff, there are many things that caught your attention. Mostly about the Raptures and how they behave, like they only kill Human beings and not animals. Like their only intention is to kill only humans and nothing else.

Y/N: Hmm, Raptures started invading over a hundred years ago... only interest of killing Humans... not interested in animals... huh... strange... why only kill humans and not the animals?

You said to yourself as you continue to read through a few more of the documents about the Raptures. That is until you stumble onto some classified documents that aren't available. This made you a bit annoyed knowing you can't learn more about the Raptures in depth.

Y/N: *sigh* great, most of the important stuff is classified....

*knock*knock*knock*

You then heard someone knocking at your office door, you got up from chair and walked up to the door. Once you opened it to see who it was, Andersen stood there outside your office room, you and him stood still for a moment looking at each other without saying a word in awkward silence.

Andersen: ....May I come in?

Y/N: Depends...what you want?

Andersen: I... have a new mission for you...

Y/N: ....

Andersen: ....

*SLAM*

You immediately slammed the office door shut right in front of Andersen's face, Andersen stood in front of your office door for a moment dumbfounded as to why you slammed the door shut on him. He then gave out a gentle sigh as he knocked on your office door again. This time, however, you didn't open the door.

Andersen: *sigh* Commander, can you please open the door?

Y/N: No, go away; I'm not interested in doing missions for the Central Government right now; I need my rest...

Andersen: It's not a mission from the Central Government. It's a mission from me...

Y/N: ....

The door then opened again as you stood in front of Andersen with an irritated expression on your face. You then stepped to the side as you signaled Andersen to come inside your office. Andersen walked inside your office room as you closed the door behind him. You then walked back to your computer terminal as you sat down on the chair again, completely ignoring Andersen.

Andersen: ....have I done something that made you upset?

Y/N: Yea, you did; saying you have a new mission for me considering you gave me two months of Off Duty activities so I can rest... the first month isn't even over yet...

Andersen: I... apologies, truly; but this is urgent... for me, at least, so please... will you hear me out?

Y/N: ....

You then turn towards Andersen as you see him giving out a worried expression on his face, looking straight at you. You then give out a long sigh as you ask him what he wants.

Y/N: *sigh* Alright, fine.... what do you want?

Andersen: Thank you, Commander, first things first; are you familiar with the term "Pilgrims" before?

Y/N: Not really. What the hell is a Pilgrim?

Andersen: Pilgrims are Nikkes that are from a bygone area. They've been wandering around the Surface ever since the Rapture Invasion.

Andersen said as you just sat on your chair with an expression on your face saying that "I'm not interested in this conversation." That is until Andersen mentioned something that definitely has caught your attention.

Andersen: Anyway, to the most important part of all of this is... one of the Pilgrims is hunting down a Heretic up North... most specifically, Marian...

Y/N: ?!

Andersen: Also... about Marian being corrupted-

Y/N: Stop...

Andersen: ??

You then demanded Andersen to stop talking any further as the thought of Marian started racing through your mind. You then started to rub your head as a small slit headache started to happen. You started to sigh in exhaustion not wanting to hear anything related to Marian, because deep down in you, Marian's death still haunts you.

Y/N: Not... another word, about Marian... understand?

Andersen: ....

You said towards Andersen with cold tone voice as you had an aggravated expression showing on your face, you then let out a sigh as you sit up straight on your chair with you now fully turning your attention towards Andersen with a serious expression showing. Andersen was a bit on edge of seeing you like this, he would be lying if he wasn't intimidated of who you were acting towards him. Considering that Andersen is a Deputy Commander in Chief with a high rank, other individuals under him would show respect towards him, especially ordinary Commanders like you. However, your no "Ordinary" Commander like the others from the Military Acadamy.

Y/N: Just... tell me what you need me to do so I can get it done...

Andersen: ....very well, I need you to go back up to the Surface and head North.

Y/N: Head North huh?

Andersen: Yes, more specifically; find the Pilgrim that's roaming the Northern Tundra and find out if they know anything about the Raptures, specifically; Raptures with Human Communications like Chatterbox.

Y/N: ....

Andersen: Of course, it won't be an easy thing to do, the Northen Tundra is vast and expansive, there is a Research Base up North as well that you can you use to help you find the Pilgrim. Once you reach the Research Base, the staff stationed there will provide you with assistance, understood?

Andersen questioned as he finished briefing you about your next mission, to be honest, you really don't want to be on a new mission so soon considering after the whole incident thing, but of course; duty calls. You're the only person that can get anything done up on the Surface when dealing with the Raptures considering what your capable of, of course.

Y/N: *sigh* Alright I got it, go to the Surface, head North, find the Pilgrim Nikke, and ask them for any information about the Raptures, is that it?

Andersen: Yes, that is all... also...

Y/N: Huh?

Andersen: Try to bring back some good news this time.

Y/N: Heh, I can't promise you that Andersen...

Andersen: *sigh* very well, I'll give you tomorrow to prepare for your mission up North, after tomorrow, you will start.

Y/N: ....

Andersen said as he got up and started to walk out of your office, but before could walk out; he stopped a bit as he looked backed at you, you turn to him to see what else he wants from you.

Andersen: One more thing Commander...

Y/N: Yea? What is it?

Andersen: Try not to... lose yourself when you meet "her" again... for your Nikkes sake...

Y/N: ....

Andersen said as he then made his way out of your office as the office doors close behind him as he walks out leaving you alone, you then gave out an exhausting sigh as you slouch back on your chair and your mind starts to wonder through your thoughts.

Y/N: *sigh* I just can't get a break, can I?

-

To be continued...