nineteen

Warnings: Bullying, assault, fighting

○●○●○●○●○●○

An air of silence flowed through Hogwarts. On the eight of November, the first Hogwarts student was petrified. Colin Creevey was found holding his camera near the hospital wing. Then on the eighteenth of December, Justin Fitch-Fletchley and Nearly Headless Nick were petrified. 

So when winter Holidays rolled around, most students decided to return home. Merla and Draco decided to stay this year for Yule. Lori was the only one of the Slytherins in Merla's year to also stay. Besides Draco and his two dimwitted friends, almost all the Slytherins returned home.

Merla found peace in the silence as she walked around the corridors. She spent her free time laying lazily across the common room. Which she normally never felt comfortable doing. 

Which she should probably be doing right now. She was currently in the library, writing a letter to Tessa. Telling her all about the problems at Hogwarts. The petrified students, her brother being a pain in the ass because he caught a stupid golden snitch, the fear of someone trying to touch her cat. 

She signed off the letter stating that she wished Hogwarts was normal like Ilvermorny. She rolled up the letter and ran off towards the Owlery to send it off. "Fly safe little friend." 

Merla began her trail back towards the Slytherin dorms. Which were across the school and several floors down. While walking down the stairs, she heard footsteps and whispers behind her.

Was this her time? Was she about to be petrified?

Absolutely not. She gripped her wand and turn to see a group of older Gryffindor students. Her tensions eased. She turned back around and nearly bumped into a group of other students. "Pardon me." She tried to side step them, but was pushed against the wall of the castle.

"We know what you did, Malfoy." One of the Gryffindors sneered at her. 

She looked at him confused. "What did I do, exactly?" 

"Don't play dumb, heir of Slytherin?"

Well, she wasn't trying to play dumb but she had no idea what he was babbling about. "I think you have me confused." She tried to walk past them once more, but was blocked by a bulky seventh year.

He sneered down at her. "Funny, how you returned to Hogwarts and everything started to go bad. First Filtch's cat... then you petrified nearly headless nick and a couple other students."

"I didn't petrify anyone." Her heart clenched at the thought of ever doing anything hurtful to anyone. "And I returned to Hogwarts the same time everyone has."

"Yeah, well no one else went missing for months on end."

Merla rolled her eyes. "Yeah, because I nearly died saving the school from Quirrell who was working with you know who."