thirty-four

warnings: blood

warnings: blood

○●○●○●○●○●○

Today was the day of the third and finale task. Merla walked confidently towards the chamber in the Great Hall where the champions were invited along side their families to converse before the finale task.

As she opened the door to the chamber, she was surprised to only see her mother and brother. Her mother was quick to wrap her into a strong hug. "Where is father?" Merla whispered to her mother as she pulled away from the hug.

She did not want the other champions and their families to hear their conversation. Narcissa gave her a tight lipped smile. "At work."

Merla knew what that meant. "Hmm." She bit her lip in thought. "I suppose you two are supposed to walk me down to the final task?"

Draco rolled his eyes. "Yes, we are your escorts."

Their mom gave them both a stern look. "Yes dear. I do have my fingers crossed for you. Tonight can be life changing. I just hope you choose the right side when the time comes."

Ok. That was inconspicuous. "Right..." Merla trailed off. "We should head out." The family of three quietly left the room as the other families conversed.

"When you're in the maze, they're going to tell you to send up a red flare if you need to be rescued. Under no circumstance are you to do that. You'll be disqualified. Understood?" 

Merla stared at her mother in confusion. Since when did she care if Merla won or lost. "Why would I ever give up."

The siblings zoned out their mothers warnings about the task as they walked in unison. "If I lose I want you to burn my room down. I will not embarrass myself like that."

Draco let out a devious laugh. "Deal."

They walked onto the Quidditch field, which was now completely unrecognizable. A twenty-foot-high hedge ran all the way around the edge of it. There was a gap right in front of them: the entrance to the vast maze. The passage beyond it looked dark and creepy. 

Five minutes later, the stands had begun to fill; the air was full of excited voices and the rumbling of feet as the hundreds of students filed into their seats. The sky was a deep, clear blue now, and the first stars were starting to appear. 

Hagrid, Professor Moody, Professor McGonagall, and Professor Flitwick came walking into the stadium and approached Bagman and the champions.

"We are going to be patrolling the outside of the maze," said Professor McGonagall to the champions. "If you get into difficulty,and wish to be rescued, send red sparks into the air, and one of us will come and get you, do you understand?" 

The champions nodded. "Off you go, then!" said Bagman brightly to the four patrollers. 

The four champions walked into different directions. Draco and Merla's mom wished her one final good luck before heading into the crowd to take their seats.