intermission: chapter three

warnings: fighting

warnings: fighting

○●○●○●○●○●○

Crashing to the floor, Merla and Harry were greeted by deafening cheers. Merla couldn't do it anymore. Her eyes shut tightly as she refused to believe what she just saw.

Merla felt Harry's tight grip on both of her shoulders. He refused to let her go as a crowd circled around them. "Harry! Get off of her!" Someone shouted in shock.

His body was pushed off of her back, he was pulled towards her side. She laid face down in the dirt, struggling to breath. People were speaking around her but she could hardly hear. 

She was rolled onto her back, everyone gasped in horror as they saw the state of the two champions. Someone had asked her what happened, but all she could think of was Duri.

"Where is he..." she wheezed, the pain in her chest now was becoming unbearable. 

Someone grabbed onto Merla's face and forced her to look at them. It was Professor McGongall. "Merla? Can you hear me dear?"

"Where is Duri?" Merla spoke louder now. A hush rang around the crowd. Merla sat herself up. "Where is he! Harry!" Merla wheezed as she stood. 

Harry shook his head. "I- I couldn't grab him. He was hit by the killing curse."

Merla shook with anger. "Give me back to portkey!" She lunged forward to grab it, only to be stopped by Mad Eye."I'll kill you for that! Do you hear me Harry!"

She pushed away Mad Eye and drew out her wand. A surge of power flowed through her body as she pointed her wand at Harry. 

He would have been sliced straight in half if it weren't for Professor McGonngall pushing her arm upward and away from the crowd. The hedges of the maze behind Harry sliced smoothly through and through. 

People in the crowd cried in fear as Merla waved her wand above her head and sent a lightning bolt straight over where Harry once stood. Dumbledore and Snape drew their wands.

"Merla! Stop it!" Snape warned.

"He killed Duri!" Merla waved her wand wordlessly at her professors, each of them struggled to deflect the unknown spells away from Harry and other bystanders. 

Merla was then forced to protect herself as Dumbledore cast Lumos Solem to blind Merla and pause her attacks. But it didn't stop her. 

Her wand pointed to her nearest opponent, Mad Eye... and blasted him with an unknown curse which caused his body to twitch and transform into something else... someone else. It was Barty Crouch Jr.

Merla used the professors confusion as her chance to attack Harry. She pulled him close with accio and wrapped her fingers around his neck. "Why did you do that!"

Struggling for breath, Harry simply accepted his fate. He messed up, he got scared and he left Duri there to fend for himself.

When he thought he was about to pass out to the lack of oxygen, Snape appeared behind Merla and pointed his wand at her head. She immediately let go of Harry as she fell limp to the floor. 

○●○●○●○●○●○

"What is going on!?" Narcissa Malfoy pushed through the heavy doors of the Malfoy Manor. Her daughter was laying on the sofa, bloody and beaten. 

Her husband stood over her dangerously. "She made a fool out of us... he's going to make us pay- we should turn her over to him. Save the rest of us-" Lucius spat out quickly. He turned and gave his daughter a meaningful look.

Then he mumbled drunkenly. "He'll kill us all otherwise." He stared solemnly at his unconscious daughter. He had rushed to Hogwarts soon after the disappearance of Harry and Merla to bring her home.

He spouted nonsense of an unsafe environment and dragged Merla's unresponsive body out of the Medical wing and brought her home. All of the Professors were too busy fawning over Harry and listening to his story about what had happened that night to really put up a fight to stop him.

"We are not going to sacrifice our daughter, Lucius!" Narcissa pushed him aside and rushed to heal Merla's wounds.

Lucius ticked his tongue. "Our daughter? May I remind you that she is not actually our daughter!" He tossed over a vase of flowers. "We should have never taken her in!" 

Narcissa turned and gave her husband a death stare. "She is family. Your  family, Lucius. If not us, then who?"

"Does it matter now?!" He yelled fanatically. The two continued to argue and in the midst of their ignorance, a knock was heard at the door. Lucius gave his wife a worried glance before rushing to open the door. 

"Hello Malfoys." A woman with a thick American accent smiled devilishly at the two. "Lovely home." She walked in confidently with her arms folded behind her back. 

Narcissa stood protectively over Merla. "Sylvia. What is the purpose of your visit."

"I think you know." Sylvia looked solemnly down at Merla. The years to come were going to be nothing but painful for the girl. "The Dark Lord is not pleased with Merla's performance tonight. He is very disappointed." 

"He is not going to take my daughter." Narcissa gripped onto her wand.

Sylvia held out her arms defensively. "I am not here to fight you. I am here to give you and your son a way out." 

Lucius walked forward, intrigued. "What do you mean?" The woman reached into her coat pocket and handed Lucius a brown envelope. "What is this?" He questioned.

"My ex-husbands address. In America. Where you will be safe, with Draco." She crouched down and began to move the hair out of the girls eyes. "My daughter speaks highly of Merla. She'll be there next to her every step of the way to make sure she stays alive." 

Lucius pulled Narcissa aside. "Pack your things, we are leaving." 

"Not without Merla." Narcissa gave her husband a sharp death stare.

"Merla has to stay. He does not care about the three of you enough to chase after you, if he has Merla... he will forget you." Sylvia was now sitting next to Merla. The girl began to stir, so the older lady pulled out her wand and put her into a deep sleep.

Lucius pulled his wife's gaze back to him. "I know you won't agree with me- but we are out of time." He pulled his wife's wand out of her hand and before she could say anything he hit her with the Imperius curse. "Imperio."

Under her husbands command, Narcissa rushed upstairs and began to pack their families most important belongings. Lucius gave one look to Merla before rushing to his study and returning with an envelope of his own. 

He took a deep breath and handed it over to Sylvia. "Give this to Merla... if she ever breaks free from where ever she is going. It is about her parents."

Sylvia glanced curiously down at the envelope. Were the Malfoys not Merla's real family? "I'll make sure she gets free. Free like a little blue bird." 

○●○●○●○●○●○

1175 words