twenty-one

Warnings:

Warnings:

○●○●○●○●○●○

Merla sat in the library of her families Manor. She grew tired of the silence, so she learned how to spell the piano to play her favorite tunes. In front of her, sat letters from her friends at Hogwarts. She picked up the first one and read it.

Dear Merlaine.

How are you? It feels like it is taking longer and longer for you to respond to my letters. Is everything okay back home? If there is something you need to talk about, I am here to listen. Or- to read?

Cedric and I wanted to let you know about what is happening at Hogwarts this year. Of course, you probably know about that man who escaped from Azkaban? Is that what it is called? The very dangerous wizard prison full of very dangerous wizards? Well, he apparently is lurking around Hogwarts so a bunch of these dementor ghost looking things have been flying around.

One even attacked Harry Potter at his Quidditch game against Hufflepuff. He took quite the fall, but he'll be alright. They're weird and they freak me out. I wish you were here. I knew you would protect me no matter what.

And I am sorry I wasn't able to protect you that Christmas night. Or you guys call it Yule? Wow, four years into this wizard stuff and I still don't know much.

Well, till next time. Hope everything is swell,

Kara ♡

Merla couldn't help but find herself smiling as she read the letter. She pushed up her glasses with her right hand as she reached for her parchment with the other. Oh right, she has glasses now.

They were small, round and fully tinted black. After her... incident with Voldemort, she was sensitive to light. Even now, with the blinds closed and the only light coming from the flames of the fireplace, Merla was in pain. 

Part of her was glad she did not have to deal with the pain at Hogwarts. Where everyone would ask her what was wrong and what not. She sighed as she began her letter responding to Kara.

Dear Kara,

Hello, I am swell thanks for your concern. I am sorry I haven't been able to respond as quick as we would both like. After the yule incident, I have become quite sensitive to light. I am like a bat, I thrive in the dark now. 

As I write this, I have no idea if it is morning or night. My eyes have trouble adjusting to anything besides a slight dim flame, so maybe it was best I wasn't able to attend Hogwarts this year. I am having a blast at home.

Actually I lied.

It is so dreadful here. My parents are never around, I am left to entertain myself with Tata. But now adays he quite enjoys running away from me and into the garden. I wish I could keep my eyes open long enough to read and enjoy anything really.