Chapter 33; The Fire Cat

The school day officially ended, and it was time for everyone to go home. However, when Ochaco opened the door, she stopped abruptly with a surprised and confused expression.

"Whoa..." she gasped as, on the other side, there was a giant crowd of students blocking the doorway. Each of them from a different class and course. Some started whispering to each other as they stared at each of your classmates. "What's going on?" Ochaco asked.

You were up, looking at a large number of students in front of your classroom door. You hadn't seen this many since the alarm days ago. Of course, you ran to the rooftop to find the mystery Pokémon, not even noticing them.

"No way out!" Mineta shouted. "What are they here for?"

"Scoping out the competition, duh, Small Fry," Bakugo said, walking towards the entrance. Mineta looked scared at Midoriya, pointing at the ash-blond boy. Midoriya sighed; that's Bakugo on his good day. "We're the class that survived a real villain attack. Makes sense they'd want a look before the sports festival." Bakugo stopped in front of the crowd, "No point though. Now move aside, cannon fodder."

"Can we please not resort to calling those we don't even know 'cannon fodder'?" Iida told Bakugo, waving his arms all robotic-like.

"It's true; we came to get a look, but you sure are modest," someone said from within the crowd as they made their way to the front, catching your and your classmates' attention. "I heard you guys were impressive, but you just sound like an ass, blondie. Are all the kids in the hero course like this one?" He asked.

Bakugo grunted angrily in response, as the rest of your classmates shook their heads no.

You moved forward to get a look at this boy. He was a tall young man with messy indigo hair that flared out in large tufts around his head and notably straight teeth. His eyes were dark purple with white pupils, thin and somewhat triangular, with no visible eyelashes. They were usually half-closed and had very dark eye bags underneath them.

If you didn't know any better, you would say he was a mini version of Mr. Aizawa.

"How sad to come here and find a bunch of egomaniacs," he said with a tired tone as he stood in front of the crowd and scratched the back of his head. "I wanted to be in the Hero course, but like many others here, I was forced to choose a different track. Such is life," the boy stated. "I didn't cut it the first time around, but I have another chance. If any of us do well in the Sports Festival, the teachers can decide to transfer us to the Hero course. And they'll have to transfer people out to make room."

Your eyes widened, your mouth slightly open. Was that true? This is the first you've heard of something like this. What does that mean for any Pokémon trainers who finally take the chance and come here?

"Scouting the competition? Maybe some of my peers are, but I'm here to let you know that if you don't bring your very best, I'll steal your spot right from under you," he spoke to the rest of the class. "Consider this a declaration of war."

"He's bold!" your classmates thought.

His final words got under your skin. You hadn't felt this fire in you since the day at the entrance exam with Bakugo. Your inner Pokémon trainer instinct has awoken to go out on this battle. Confront the challenger with your own declaration.

"A declaration of war?" you asked out loud, "that's a bold choice of words you just said, buddy." You stepped up next to Bakugo, surprising everyone in the class. "If you're going to say things like that, then you better have something to back you up on those claims! Because... I'm going to win the Sports Festival!" you told the boy, pointing to yourself. Bakugo was equally surprised by this. He caught a glimpse of your eyes, and they had the same determined look he had seen before. Not just back at the entrance exam but when you were battling the punk villain and his snake.