four

CHAPTER FOURpinecone's fate

CHAPTER FOUR
pinecone's fate

IF SOMEONE ASKED AURORA WHAT HER BIGGEST FLAW IS SHE WOULD SAY SHE DOESN'T HAVE ANY, she's perfect and that's the problem, her ego is too big and she's overconfident— who wouldn't be when they're aphrodite's favorite daughter

IF SOMEONE ASKED AURORA WHAT HER BIGGEST FLAW IS SHE WOULD SAY SHE DOESN'T HAVE ANY, she's perfect and that's the problem, her ego is too big and she's overconfident— who wouldn't be when they're aphrodite's favorite daughter. the campers often rolled their eyes at her self-assured demeanor, but aurora reveled in the attention, convinced that she deserved every bit of admiration.

and she was a hundred percent certain that percy would pick her for his quest.

"the oracle has confirmed what we expected, that this quest will proceed toward the underworld where you will confront the god who has rebelled against his brothers— hades." chiron explained, all of the best fighters were gathered up, hoping to be picked by percy to go on his quest. "the entrance to hades' domain lies under the city of los angeles. this is where you will journey. time is short." chiron turned towards the competitors. "i have selected our most compelling candidates from which you will choose three to join you on this quest and ensure that we succeed."

"aurora and annabeth," percy immediately answered as aurora smiled, she knew he was going to pick her— she was never wrong. the girl looked at her friend, nodding at her, this is what annabeth had dreamed of.

"customarily, one waits to at least hear a name or two before choosing." chiron stated, slightly whispering it to percy, bur the boy had already made up his mind. "are you sure you don't wanna hear more?"

"this thing zeus's master bolt, we need to get it back, right?" percy questioned, looking up at the man.

"yes."

"and it's going to be hard to get, yes?"

"extraordinarily."

"and if the mission required, someone to push me down a flight of stairs for it to succeed you want someone who won't hesitate when they do it and i want someone that will help me when i fall down those stairs." percy explained, that was what was so different about those girls, annabeth would push him down and not care but aurora would be running down to help him.

"the first quest-mate shall be aurora vivier!" chiron exclaimed, aurora smiled at percy again, though she could feel the disappointment radiating from everyone— except annabeth. "the the second quest-mate shall be annabeth chase!"
aurora grabbed the girl's hand, annabeth smirked at her, after countless moments of boring aurora's ear off about a quest it was finally happening. "now onto the other candidates."

"aurora," luke knocked on the girl's cabin meanwhile she was too busy deciding what clothes to bring for her trip— there was so many options.

"come in!" she exclaimed holding up two tops, one was white and one was a baby pink. "luke i'm so glad you're here, i need help,"

"you're going on a quest and you're stressing about what to wear?" luke laughed, closing the door behind him, he looked around at the pink and white room with some blue details here ant there.

"i have to look good, but i have too much clothes to bring." aurora whined, stuffing in two skirts.

luke chuckled, walking over to her overstuffed suitcase. "you know you can't bring your whole wardrobe, right?"

"but what if i need options?" aurora pouted, eyeing the clothes like they held the secrets of the universe.

"you won't need options, you're the daughter of aphrodite you look good in anything." luke pointed out, trying to organize the chaotic pile of clothing.

"fine, but if i regret not bringing that sparkly dress, it's on you." aurora sighed dramatically, somehow closing the over filled suitcase. "wait why are you here?"

"oh right, good luck on your trip." he nodded at her, he then noticed a silver ring on her dresser. "woah now, you better not forget this."

aurora looked to where the older boy was pointing, her ring— the ring that turned into a sword. it was a gift from her mom from when she turned ten, though it was more for the ring that her mom got it not the actual sword part.

"wouldn't forget it," she walked over, sliding the ring on her finger, she then looked over at the clock in her room. "uh, i have to get going see you later luke," she waved to the boy as she grabbed her pink suitcase and ran out of the door.

"she's really gonna miss that tree huh?" percy pointed over at annabeth, she was looking up at not a tree, at thalia.

"when annabeth first arrived here with thalia and luke they were being chased by monsters, agents of hades, sisters," grover explained, aurora remembered first hearing about this, that was the day annabeth arrived.

"furies." percy added, looking down at the ground. "mrs. dodds?"

"yes," grover answered. "one was our algebra teacher, alecto. thalia turned back to fight to buy her friends some time. her satyr protector tried to stop her, but she wouldn't listen." aurora furrowed her eyebrows, grover was her protector, why wasn't he telling percy that? "so at the last moment zeus intervened to save her life, and changed her form."

"the most powerful being in the universe's best idea to save his daughter's life was to turn her into a tree?" percy questioned, that was not making any sense.

"she was the bravest demigod i ever knew." annabeth joined the three. aurora had never actually known thalia all she heard were stories from annabeth. "she fought valiantly, and she met a hero's fate."

"she met a pinecone's fate." percy pointed out and as much as aurora wanted to laugh at that she couldn't, not in front of annabeth.

"forbidden children are always in danger, even the strongest ones, even thalia." annabeth stated, aurora could tell that she was staring to get mad at the blonde boy. "and you are not thalia, do exactly as i say and maybe you survive this. are we clear?"

annabeth walked away leaving the three, aurora shook her head, if she wasn't her best friend she would've blown up at her by now. "does she think she's in charge?" percy asked aurora.

"who do you think would be in charge?" aurora scoffed, she loved annabeth she truly did but sometimes she could be very pushy.

"I assumed we'd do a show of hands or something." percy shrugged as the three made their way down.

author's note, percy's getting more comfortable, he can actually form a sentence without blushing like crazy though his heart is still beating like crazy.