Chapter 46: Tag Team Troubles!

At the day of Tag battle, Ash went to Dawn with the entry card for her because Zoey suggested that she should enter to cheer up herself after the loss at the contest which she eventually agreed on.

"Um guys...?" Arlo called, making everyone look at him
"Yeah? What's up?"
"Well, will it be alright if I join this competition too?"
"Huh? What?! You want to join it too?"
"Look I know I won't be able to win, but...I want to try once!"
You smiled widely at the little boy and ruffled his hair "of course you can! Go get Plusle from your mom through Professor Oak and we'll be good to go!"
Arlo grinned widely and jumped up and down in happiness "thank you so much!" He ran off to the booth to get his beloved pokémon while Dawn just turned pale
"Will it be fine if I just run away for the day?" "Lup!?"

...

The Hearthome City's mayor, who's the MC named Enta, introduced himself to the crowd with excitement before telling the participants to find their partners by looking at the screen which showed two numbers together.

"Uhm guys, there's a problem! One of you will have to hold the egg while I'm battling!"
"It'll be fine, you can leave it to us!"
"Thanks Ash, c'mon Spearow, let's find our partners now"
'what're the odds of getting Y/N as a partner?' Ash thought

"Looks like Dawn and Brock both found their partners" You said to Ash
"Yeah-Ah!"
"Outta the wayyyyyyy where's my partner!!! No. 8???" An overexcited guy suddenly pushed Ash aside and ran past him, making Ash fall right over you
"Ash!" You blushed, realising how he was ontop ofq you right now "Ash, get up!"
"Y-yeah! Right, sorry!" Ash replied, getting up with a red face before helping you to get up
"Man you made us drop our cards!" You scolded, picking up the nearest cards and handed one to Ash.

"Hey Y/N, have you seen anyone with the no. 24?"
"24?" You looked at your card and smiled "Hey, looks like we're in the same team!"
"That's awesome!"
"So now that all of you found your teammates, where's mine?" Ash whined while Pikachu showed Ash's card while sitting on his head
"Of course, you had to be no. 15" An arrogant voice said

"And I'm ready to win!" Ash exclaimed and turned around to see it was Paul and immediately became serious "hey Paul" he said as they both glared at each other.

"What do you know, Paul's in this too"
"Uh-huh and talk about the luck of draw" Dawn replied to Brock
"Oh thank God I wasn't paired up with Paul" Arlo sighed in relief
"This thing is gonna be wild"

"Of course, I don't have a choice" Paul said crushing the entry no. card in his hand before pointing at Ash "you just make sure you don't get in my way" he warned before glancing at your direction at once making you shiver
'of course I needed to shiver, wow' you rolled your eyes and Ash started to argue with Paul.

Soon enough, the screen showed the pairs and which group they were in.
"Let's see...no. 24 and 10...hey, wait a minute" you furrowed your eyebrows in confusion after seeing that 24 was actually paired with 5 in the H block which meant that you were the one paired with Paul and Ash was with Arlo.

"Now how on Earth did that happen?" Arlo and Dawn asked in unison.
"But the screen showed that 15 was with 5" Ash stated confused by the sudden change.
"Oh! I get it, when that trainer made me and you fall on the ground, our cards must've been changed at that time!"
"So you mean you're Paul's partner?!"
"I-" you looked at the arrogant trainer who was already looking at you. "Uh-oh"

Mayor Enta quickly grabbed everyone's attention once more and showed the prize, which was two soothe bells and thus, the tournament officially started with Dawn and Conway against their rivals.

"They look unstoppable" you commented "you know we should do that too Paul ACK-" Chimchar suddenly released a powerful flamethrower at your direction, but luckily you dodged it in time
"Hey what was that for?!" Ash yelled, standing infront of you protectively.