-one--

What a ghostly way to live; mourning for someone still alive. 

-one--

New arrivals

New arrivals.

THEY CAME EVERY three months, each wearing the same frozen look of terror on their face as everyone else had. There were always more girls than boys; the disease seemed to target males more often, or at least, it progressed quicker in them, anyways. This always made the ceremony on Induction Day a curious sight for many - a wonder of the ratio of females to males.

It was always the same process: a welcome to the new harvest - what the insiders referred to as the new immunes brought in - our Rescuers continuous pledge to keep us safe, and of course, the rules; one in particular: never make contact with another human.

Though this was seen as the most sacred rule, we were never told why it was so important, other than the fact that breaking it would cost your life. But how could it kill us? We all knew about the sensory trackers in us, purposed to recognize our contact with things - it was no secret, but what were they hiding? What were they not telling us?

Was is that human contact could affect our immunity? That we were bound to live a life without another's touch? Because if it was, than there didn't seem a great deal left to live for. Not when our world had already lost so much... Or maybe it was something beyond our minds comprehension, something that really would terrify us like the thought of sudden death.

Still, even though the truth could scare me more than anything, I clung to a faith that I would one day find out.

My eyes drew to my left, MiKinley attempting to catch my focus by calling my name. It was moments like these where we really missed human contact - I was always zoning out when people were trying to talk to me. "Sorry. What did you say?" I asked, having not heard a thing he had said to me.

MiKinley chuckled. "I said the Harvests are looking more frightened every time."

I scanned my eyes towards them, once again remembering how I had felt on my first day. "And there's less guys, too! How many are there, six?"

"Nah," MiKinley shook his head, "five."

I nodded in response, although certain I had seen six new guys just a second ago.

"Look." MiKinley spoke up again, outstretching his arm to point to the left of the stage. "That Marvis guy is here. Must be a development in the vaccine, or something."

I sighed, my hope for a future half lost in the few months I'd been here. "Would be nice." I answered, both of us fading silent to listen to Marvis, the founder of The Dormirs, speak.

"As we pass another milestone of our endurance through this global crisis, may we spare a reminder to revel in the knowledge that there continues to be survivors."

I looked back towards the Harvest, noticing that the numbers seemed to be decreasing every time. It was the first time that I found myself doubting the words being said to us, and the uncertainty didn't settle well with me.

"I welcome to Dormir 14, Ophelia, Etta, Jaspar, Novella, Stellan, Elspeth, Bee, Katie, Teresa, Lennon..."

-one--

First published June 10th, 2017.