-twentyfour--

--twentyfour-

+ And it's just my soul responding to the heavy heart I'm holding

+ And it's just my soul responding to the heavy heart I'm holding. +

+ Just My Soul Responding +

RIGHT BEFORE HE spoke, I felt my last trace of doubt disappear from my mind. There was no more fear when it came to him. No more uncertainty. Just answers to questions I didn't even know I had. 

"The truth is," he began, breathing heavily, screwing shut his eyes as in a desperate attempt to gather the words. "The bigger truth, the one that matters..." 

I waited. 

"Pip... I was sent here by your father.

The air vanished from my lungs. My world, in a moment, stopped. Finally, the guilt caught up to me; I hadn't thought about my father in so long. I knew it made me upset to think about them, to think about how long we would be apart for, if they would get sick, but that was no excuse to forget them. I had been so consumed in Charleston, so distracted by my friends, that I had completely forgot about my world outside of The Dormir. 

I never wanted that to happen - to be so out of touch with everything else that the only thing I knew was life inside The Dormir. I had a terrible feeling that, that was what they wanted from us. I had an even more terrible feeling that I should no longer trust this place. 

"Pip, say something. You're worrying me." He chuckled a little, nervously. 

I blinked my eyes, trying to see if it was really him speaking and not just an illusion my mind had formed. "You... You know my father?"

 "Yes. Thelonious." He responded. "And your brother." 

Martin. Oh, Martin. I had missed my brother so deeply. I had so many more questions for Charleston, now. So many that it would have taken all night for me to list them all. Were they okay? Were they sick? Were they alive? How did they know Charleston? They were all running through my mind at once. 

"How are they?" I leaned in closer towards him when I spoke. "Has something happened to them? Why were you 'sent' here? What does that even mean?" 

"Woah, calm down there." He laughed, his hands raised in surrender. "One at a time." 

I blushed. "Sorry." 

"They're okay. You don't need to worry about them." I felt lighter. Charleston sighed. "We haven't got a lot of time - you have to get back to your cabin soon." He reminded me. 

"We can wait. Just a few minutes more. Please, Charleston." 

He looked at me, contemplated, and gave in almost instantly. "Five more minutes." He said. "Then we really have to go." 

I nodded, barely able to contain my relief at that point. 

"I can't go into detail now, but to put it short, you only came here so we could get you out."

"Get me out? Of The Dormir?" 

"Pip, you can't trust this place. Okay? Your dad is working to get you out right now. I can't tell you everything, not tonight, but I can tell you this: everything they are telling you is a lie. They're not looking for a cure. They're not using safe treatments on anyone. If they try to give you anything -  any medicine, any tests - you don't let them. You hear me?

I felt light headed at his words. It was a lot to comprehend, a lot I didn't understand. But I had made up my mind, now. I trusted him. 

"I hear you." 

Relief washed over Charleston. Just when I thought there wasn't anything else he could have to say to me, he racked his brain for one last thing. 

"I've arranged for you to speak to your father. I've scheduled you for an inspection on Thursday. That's in five days. I can't get him here, it wouldn't be safe, but you can talk to him and he can go through the plan with you." 

"The plan?" I asked him, clueless.

Charleston nodded. "You came up with it, Pip." 

-twentyfour--

10 COMMENTS.

I'm so excited for the next couple of chapters!

I've finally revealed to you guys such a big part of the story! It's all coming together and I am so happy in what I have in store for you.

I'm also happy because I watched all three Lion King movies today.

I had my first Bible Study class yesterday and it was amazing and we listened to Hillsong and shared our testimonies and our experiences with God. It made me so happy to be in a Church environment again. Seek first the Kingdom of God!

-

Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for You are the one I praise.

Jeremiah 17:14