-seven--

-seven-- 

I WONDERED ALL night what he had meant when he said to me, "if anything would happen, no one would see you

I WONDERED ALL night what he had meant when he said to me, "if anything would happen, no one would see you." 

What could possibly happen that might put him at a place of concern? Was it the fog? I'd never be stupid enough to touch it - to sacrifice my immunity for sheer curiosity, and I hoped that if anything, he would soon figure that out about me. Or was it something just as simple as slipping from one of the rocks, perhaps hitting my head? I suppose I hadn't considered that a possibility, but I was always careful when I was alone. 

After his words I gave him a gentle nod, a hint of a smile tugging at the corner of my lips, and then I passed him. I walked a few steps back in the direction of The Dormir's centre, then turned to look over my shoulder at him. 

He hadn't moved at all. 

Charleston remained standing, head fixed straight ahead, as if he could still picture me right in front of him. I guess he was just lost in thought again. 

I didn't know his situation, or how different things were from his perspective, but I knew that if his first day was anything like mine, then he was probably feeling consumed by his loneliness. 

It didn't help that I had no idea about how people became guards for this place, or what type of people were allowed to work here. Surely they were immunes, otherwise the risk of spreading the disease to the healthy, more so the healthiest that The Dormir's could find, was unfathomable. 

It made me wonder about who they had to leave behind...

I shook my head, refusing the thoughts to come my way. It was hard enough having to adapt to life without my father and brother, much less trying to understand why they would send me here, alone. 

'It's because they wanted the best for you, Pip.' No. I refused to accept that. An absence of family, of anything familiar, is never what is best. It's isolation, it's abandonment, it's hell. 

And it had been hell for 6 months, now.

-seven--