-four--

--four- 

FINALLY, WE WERE allowed to leave

FINALLY, WE WERE allowed to leave. I was already up and on my feet before my friends had picked up their trays. I was just desperate to be alone, to have a moment to myself. 

I could feel his eyes following me as I moved around the hall, yet he remained seated, still finishing his meal alone and in silence. His presence agitated me the whole of dinner, and I hoped that he would have learned to sit somewhere else come breakfast. If he didn't though, there wouldn't be anything I could do. After all, guards are superior to residents. 

Someone was calling my name behind me - Ava, I assumed, but I didn't want any company. I knew where to go if I wanted to be alone, where I could go and be certain that no one else would be there: the stream. 

Making sure no one was around, I slipped into the small opening of trees which led me on my own path to the stream. It was a dark and shaded trail walked by only two sets of footprints, and once the stream came into sight, the purple glow of the sunset was visible. 

I sat myself upon the same rocks as I always did, pulled off my shoes and let my feet grace the cold, running water of the stream. It made me feel alive. 

Technically, there was no rule to stop us from being down here; I knew the guards would try and say otherwise, but of my few rights that I had, this was one that I cherished with freedom. Still, that was why I was always careful when I came here: I didn't want them to take this place away from me. My sanctuary. 

MiKinley was the only other person to have been down here. He never came as often as me, nor without my presence, and he was always on edge about being seen by someone. But I knew that wasn't really what he was scared about. It was the fog. 

It circled around the edges of the Dormir, trapping everyone inside, preventing anyone from coming in. Well, I suppose you could just walk right through it until you reached the fences, but that would mean certain death. 

The fog, it killed you in horrible ways.

It would infect you with the Senseimiaka Virus - the reason we were all here. It was a monstrous disease that slowly deprived your body of every one of the five senses, until eventually, when you could no longer hear anyone, see, or even feel anything, it took your life. That was what MiKinley was terrified of... 

Though it didn't make any sense, as I reminded him, we were the Immunes, the ones who the disease could not affect. 

The Insusceptibles. 

-four--