-seventy-

--seventy-

THE HARVEST HAD always been the same, but not today. Always a firm delivering of faith that the human race would survive - according to their specifications, but not today.

The Dormir was infected with counterfeits of people: those posing as custodians, a new set as residents on our side, and of course, the holograms - the counterfeits they created. Marvis and his assembly were oblivious to the enemies they were letting in.

I kept a close eye on Charleston throughout the ceremony. He stood to the side of Marvis, in front of a row of people, separated from the Harvest. I knew all the guards brought in were in on the Plan, but not all of the residents would be. I was instructed to look for a nod when Marvis read out the names, being signalled by Charleston who was aware.

"As we pass another milestone of our endurance through this period of global crisis, may we spare a reminder to revel in the knowledge that there continues to be survivors." I had memorised Marvis' speech by now, and so had so many of the other residents alongside me. Ava recited along, mocking Marvis in front of Thea and I, irritating some of the guards. Laughing, I had to warn her to not draw so much attention towards us.

"I welcome to Dormir 14: Kyson, Teren," no nods, "Scout, Savion, Mal," the last two were nods, "Raya, Delano," both nods, "Ivy," but not "Mandy," a nod for both "Lexus," and "Martha," leaving "Chloe," as another resident.

Just over half of them were here for the Plan. This was good. We needed as many people as we could when it came to the Evacuation. Trying to convince the residents that they needed to run through the Fog would be impossible if it weren't for the number of people on our side.

After the welcoming applause, Marvis spoke up again. "After my previous visit, I informed you all that we would be introducing new custodians into The Dormir. And I am pleased to say that after a glitch in the software, everyone's results have been concluded: Insusceptible."

Celebration filled the audience of campmates, with the exception of Thea, Ava, and myself. I looked around, searching for MiKinley. Patrick was beside him attempting to blend in with the majority, to not reveal his secrets. But MiKinley, who hadn't been told about anything, who should have been falsely relieved at the announcement, couldn't have appeared more miserable, and I couldn't comprehend it. When his eyes met mine, I looked away, afraid that he would understand everything if he searched too deeply into me.

As the cheering died down, Marvis' voice filled the speakers. "I think it's only time we introduce the custodians now." He stated before turning to his left. "Charleston? If you'd do the honours?"

Charleston nodded before cautiously wandering over to Marvis. He was smiling at him, unable to see right through Charleston's challenging eyes.

He stepped up to the microphone, scanning the crowd to find me. "The new custodians we welcome to The Dormir, are: Blaze, Zeke, Hudson, Niobe, Calandra, Kristel, and Alden." Charleston gestured over to the lineup of uniformed guards, slipping off side platform whilst the attention was diverted.

He gestured with his head for me to follow, so I slipped through the crowd, following him behind the residents. I passed MiKinley, and his harsh gaze burnt holes in my skin, resonating the sting into my veins. I tried not to let it get to me, but the pain weaken me in every part of my body.

"Hey," I breathed out when I reached him, still finding it hard to meet his eyes when we were alone, still ashamed of what I had done...and he could feel it, but he never mentioned it.

"As soon as the crowd breaks after dinner, tell everyone to meet at the Grey Range. Don't all go together. I'll get the new guards and residents. You tell Ava, Patrick and Thea, okay?"

I nodded, so small in all of my actions.

"Pip." Charleston began, a warm and reassuring smile showing. "We're gonna get out of this place. Any day now." He promised. "Just hold on for me, okay? Hold onto me."

-seventy—
Chapter seventy!? That's so crazy!

Thank you if you've read this far. This story is so important to me, and I am so honoured to be able to share these characters and their message  on such a positive platform.

Do you like the characters' names? Which one is your favourite?
I like Savion.