-fiftythree--

--fiftythree- 

I COULDN'T MOVE. Time had frozen me and left me behind in a cruel, unforgiving world. The crying had stopped, for now, but the ache that burned somewhere between my throat and my chest continued to grow. It was taking all my life away. 

Charleston had tried to get me to stand up, after all, it had been well over an hour. But I couldn't. Not for him, not even for MiKinley. He would have carried me out himself, but we all knew that he could not do that. Outside of these walls was a lifeless, touchless world, a place where we couldn't exist. 

In here, in the Grey Range - the place where I had found out my best friend's fate, it had been the only place where I was allowed to be alive without limitations that took away my humanity. At least it was before today. 

Patrick had left a while ago; to grieve perhaps. I'm certain he knew previously about what had been decided for MiKinley, but I think that because I didn't know, he might have not had a moment to feel it. You can be so selfish without even knowing it. Without even trying. 

A voice broke me from my thoughts, pulling me back into the tiring world. 

"Pip, nothing will get better if you stay here. Nothing can happen until you make it happen." 

Charleston looked at me, searching my face for an answer, but I couldn't even meet his gaze. 

"Pip," his voice was so delicate, "please fight this. We can still try. We can still do everything we can." 

Words came out of me. I didn't feel them for a while after. Instead of my body being deprived of feeling, it was my mind. "But it won't save him, will it?" 

"Pip-" 

"Nothing will. I can't save him, Charles." 

He had no answer, and I knew that before I even finished speaking, before the words came into thought. But a sound freed him from this burden - someone approaching the room. 

I waited for Patrick or Alistair, wondering who would arrive to tell me that I had to leave this place or we would get caught. But it was neither of them who entered first. Instead, someone I didn't know I needed. 

Ava hurried inside, her entrance strong and determined, displaying her need to reach someone. Me. 

Charleston didn't break away from his hold, and a panic set in; I sat up immediately, attempting to sit away from him. 

What surprised me more was that Ava didn't react to this. She did not hold the face of someone who, to her understanding, just witnessed her friend commit a death-sentencing crime. She came over to where I was, kneeling right in front of me. 

"Pip." 

There was a tremendous sight of sympathy on her face. She knew. Anyone capable of a look like that knew the pain I was feeling. 

"He's dying, Ava." I whimpered, tears returning to me in tsunami waves. 

I waited in horror for the misery to flood through me again, but it didn't. I felt something else, instead. Ava put her arms around me. 

In that moment, she brought the world's end to a cease. 

-fiftythree--

31/12/2017!

Last chapter of 2017!!!!

I want to thank each of you for this wonderful journey we have been on so far with Counterfeit this year! It has been an incredible start to this series which I hope continues deep into 2018! I am so excited for all that is to come next year, including the next two books in this series, and all my other books that I am to write! Again, thank you so much. You guys have inspired me beyond belief with your comments and love for Pip and Charleston.

I pray you all have a wonderful 2018, and despite the trials and losses we might have had to face this year, I hope you have had a beautiful 2017 and look back on this year with a grateful heart for all that you had.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Thank you for caring about Pip and Charleston. It has meant the world to me.

May God bless and protect you, and may you find and grow with Him next year.

-

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: old things have passed away: behold, all things have become new.