-twentyone--

--twentyone- 

I SHOULD HAVE been relieved

I SHOULD HAVE been relieved. Grateful at the very least, but I wasn't. And I wasn't even sure if it was the truth anymore.

Diagnosis: INSUSCEPTIBLE

I gripped onto the results firmly, holding them up in my hand. "Is this.." I sighed. "Is this - my results, are they..." 

"Are they what?" He seemed rather confused in my sudden disposition, searching my face for any clues. 

I looked down at the paper, read over the words - the same words I had been told countless times before, the ones I had practically memorized; I just shook my head. "Never mind. It doesn't matter." I told him. But I think it did. 

It seemed he wanted to say something at that point. Perhaps challenge my retrieval of words, understand what I was thinking about. For a moment, I thought he was about to push, but he refrained his urge and stayed silent instead. 

But silence was still an unknown territory between us. Silence, I wasn't fond of. 

I needed to say something. "So did you know Alistair before you worked here?" 

"No," he shook his head, smiling a little, relieved to be talking. "No one comes here knowing anyone." 

"Not even the guards and custodians?" For some reason, I didn't quite believe him. Charleston had been here less than two weeks and he had communicated and behaved around Alistair as if he had known him for many, many years. 

I thought maybe I was still just a little paranoid, a little bit in doubt over him from what happened the other day, and there was a good chance that it was what was worrying me. But it was something I still hadn't got round to talking to him about, and now seemed as good of a time as any to bring the situation up again.

After he responded to my question, sticking to the same answer as before, he gestured me over to the middle of the room beside a large operatory chair. I followed him. 

His eyes flickered to the chair then down at his feet, nervously. I could tell he was wanting me to do something. I shot him a questioning expression when he looked back up at me, asking, without speaking, what he wanted from me. 

"I know you have questions." 

His words made me hesitant. It was kind of ridiculous that I felt that way, given that I had made my curiosity anything but a secret. I think I was just afraid by how easily it was for him to understand me, even when I didn't seem to myself. 

I nodded, looking away almost as though I were ashamed. 

"I want to give you the answers." 

It took me a few seconds, waiting for my disbelief to pass by, but my eyes met his. Before I could comply, he added to his statement. 

"But, I need something from you in return." 

I had already made up my mind before I knew what it was I had to do. Something burned within me. I couldn't distinguish whether it was bravery or imbecility, but either the difference, it was what I acted on, what led to me seated in the operatory chair waiting for Charleston to direct the needle into my skin. 

-twentyone-- 

Pilots.

I hope you like this chapter update!

Pleasssseeee comment. It makes me the happiest girl in the world.