-twentynine--

--twentynine- 

+ So nice to meet you, +

+ but now I'm leaving you here. +

+ Hayden Calnin +

-

I NEVER FELT his skin.

The door opened. We were instantly apart. 

Three guards burst into the room, guns raised and pointed at us. Out of instinct, Charleston had also raised his, ready to defend us against the unknown. There was confusion on his face; these were the people he worked with, now they were aiming a gun at him? 

"Charleston Protéger?" One of them questioned. 

He hesitated before confirming his identity. I had never known his surname. 

"Step away from the Immune. You need to come with us." 

Behind Charleston's back, I could see his hands moving. He was trying to remove the evidence on the medicine he had had injected me with - the one I needed, but wasn't given here. It was almost as though he knew this would happen. Like he was waiting for us to be caught. 

"What's happening?" 

One of the guards replied to me. "You're safe now, miss. No need to panic." But I wasn't asking him. 

Ignoring the guard, I asked Charleston again, his gun still in the air. 

"Charleston, what's going on?" 

"Stay calm, Pip. Remember what I told you. Remember it." 

The guards interrupted, raising their voice, their order now being yelled at Charleston. One of their guns clicked - the sound that signaled they were ready to shoot. I don't think I had every been so terrified in all my life. 

"What are they doing? Charleston please, what is happening!?" I was facing him, my voice desperate as my body began to shake. 

He turned to me for a moment; his eyes were apologetic. Mine were full of tears. Then he faced the guards again.

Slowly, he lowered the gun in surrender. In acceptance of his fate. He knew what was happening. 

"They're going to take me away for a while." 

I shook my head firmly as if it were my choice. As if I should be the one to decided if he stayed. Always. Since I knew him, knew that I trusted him, I have always wanted him to stay. Did the universe not agree? When he added on to his words, I found an answer. How cruel it was. 

"From you." 

My chest ached for mercy. When did he become so important to me? My gravity? As his eyes met mine, his gun collapsed to the floor; the sound echoed in the room. I confused it for my heart. 

He initiated the step away from me. A sharp intake of breath like there was pain lingering somewhere. 

'Please don't go.' 

Charleston was at the door now, peering over his shoulder at me. His features were heavy with regret. Would I see him again? Could I bare the answer? Probably not. I needed him to stay. 

'Please don't go. You make me feel alive.' 

But he did go, and he never heard me. I never spoke. 

Goodbyes are important... 

But we didn't get one. 

-twentynine--

I am so proud of this.

Told you that you would hate it.

PLEASE COMMENT YOUR THOUGHTS!

WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS MEANS? WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN?

WHY DO YOU THINK THEY TOOK CHARLESTON AWAY?

DID YOU THINK THEY WERE GONNA TOUCH?

God bless. x