-seventeen--

--seventeen-

A/N: 20 comments and I'll release the name and (potential) cover for the second book! 

+ Sometimes the search is all we have to keep us going. + 

+ K. Pomeroy + 

-

WE SPENT THE rest of the day talking about the world.

What was happening, how it had changed. In some ways, I felt I had almost forgotten what it was like. It had been so long since I arrived, and I was growing scared that they would never find a cure for the disease the kept us in here. Scared that I would never leave this place - and that one day, I really would forget everything else except what I knew here. 

"Hey, you okay?" 

I woke up from my daydream, distracted by the sound of MiKinley voice breaking through the fog. I smiled and nodded in assurance, tuning my ears back to the conversation. 

"It's really getting worse?" Thea questioned, her voice rather mellow and somber. It made me curious for an answer. 

Billie nodded, unable to look Thea directly in the eyes. "There's less and less people who are surviving it." 

"But we already knew that, didn't we?" I chimed in, heads turning my direction in confusion. Their eyes all begged me for an answer, so I continued, explaining to them what I thought was common ground. "With the Harvest." I began. "There were less than twenty that arrived this month. Last time, there were only thirty, and we thought that was bad." 

Everyone looked deep in concentration and a silence lingered over the group until Patrick spoke up. "Let alone that - the amount of boys brought in is concerning, to say the least." 

"Isn't the ratio like, 3:1?" Harriet implored. 

"Something like that." I mumbled, never have given much of a thought to the statistics of things. "All I know is that the disease affects more males than females." 

"Does that mean that there's more Insusceptibles that are female?" Ava wondered, earning a laugh from MiKinley. I knew that given the chance, she would have shoved him straight off his seat, and stupidly, I longed for the day I would see that. A smile found its way to my lips in amusement. 

"Look around, genius. Do you see a noticeable amount of males around here?" MiKinley dumbed-down his voice to get his point across to Ava. After she had glanced around the perimetre of The Dormir, finding her answer, she turned back to face him, glaring. 

"MiKinley, one of these days, I swear-" Ava began to impose, standing up, as did Kin. 

"Calm down, children!" Patrick got in between the two, trying to keep what little peace they shared for each other, to remain. Everyone laughed at them, finding great entertainment in their relentless bickering. Patrick put it simple, how it was: they honestly seemed like children sometimes.