-five--

--five-

I HEARD THE SOUNDS of footsteps behind me, instantly breaking me from my trail of thought

I HEARD THE SOUNDS of footsteps behind me, instantly breaking me from my trail of thought. I stood up, catching my breath when I saw who it was. 

"You scared me." I spoke. 

"Sorry." MiKinley answered from his place, picking up his movements again and joining my side. He sat down, but unlike myself, he never touched the water. "And I'm sorry about earlier, as well." He continued to profess his apologies. 

"What was up with that?" I asked. "You seem really defensive lately." 

He just shrugged, picking up a twig from the ground and tossing it into the water. 

"Is it something I've done?" I pushed, but yet, I still didn't receive an answer. "Usually most people tend to say something at this point." 

He sighed and paused on his actions, now holding firmly to the stick in his hand. "It's just," he began, uncertainty radiating clear, "the way you talk about this place sometimes." 

"What do you mean?" 

"It's not a prison, Pip." I was taken aback. Surely he understood where I was coming from. 

"MiKinley..." I wanted to say something, but I couldn't express myself the way I was tying to. 

"You know what they've done for us. They've gave us somewhere to live, somewhere where we can be safe." 

"We are safe, Kin. The disease can't affect us, you know that. It wouldn't make a difference if we were in the outside world or not. Why do they have to keep locked up in this place?" 

He stood up and sighed angrily, snapping the stick in two, chucking it into the water. "Because!" He yelled at me. I had never seen this side of him. 

"Because what!?" I fought back for answer. 

He turned to me, biting his lip, walking until he was so close to me that we were almost touching. Almost. "Because it means we don't have to watch people suffer. We don't have to watch our families die in front of us, while we remain because we can't get sick." 

I fell back slightly, afraid he would come closer. He asked me, "Isn't that enough for you?" 

I breathed out, supposing that I had never thought of it that way, and I felt some sense of sympathy for him in realization that it was what he was feeling. 

"Just because you've never lost someone-" 

"Hey!" He was cut off by an unfamiliar voice, calling to us in authority. It made us jump in fear. 

-five--

11/04/17

Mainly dialogue for this chapter. 

I'm IN LOVE with the cover I made for this.