Chapter 32

*A/N: I am working on some revamping/editing of the earlier chapters. No major changes to the plot or anything like that, but some details were added to help the flow of things later along. I am done through chapter five currently, so if you have some extra time (and don't hate my stories) check it out! Enjoy!

Adira walked into Perkins and ran over to her kids, not caring about the disturbance she was creating. "Momma!" they cheered and Derek smiled. Hunt came in and received a hug from each of the kids.

"Hunt," said Derek. "Let's take a walk quick," he stood. Hunt looked at Derek and opened his mouth, but the look from Derek sent him heading out the door.

They cleared the door and Hunt glared at Derek. "Ah, what the hell is that?"

"Adira came home. Let her spend the time with her kids. Now, let's go to work. I left her car keys on the table and sent her a text. She'll figure it out." Hunt shrugged and headed to his car. "Can I drive?" questioned Derek.

"No, idiot."

They finished breakfast with lots of chatter and lots, and lots, of hugs. "Okay, time to get in the car!" She paid the bill and helped Jedidiah and Justice into their car seats. She looked around and cursed in her head. "Okay, we need to make a stop at the hospital because Owen and Uncle Derek have Momma's phone."

They cheered. "Where did they go?" questioned Joshua.

"Surgery," responded James.

She laughed. It was always surgery.

They arrived to the hospital in no time. She ushered all the kids in the front door. They greeted the front desk before going up to Owen's office. She had a hunch that he left it in there and she was right-it was sitting on the chair with a post it note on the top that said "Sorry! XOXO Hunt." She quickly shoved it into her back pocket before any of her kids could see it. Adira turned around, "Momma got her backpack, let's go back home. I want to swim."

Jeremiah pointed at her leg, "No, momma. You can't."

"You can swim and I can watch, fair?"

"Yes, momma!" They chorused.

She picked up Jedidiah and held Justice's hand as they ventured through the hallways back to the van. They stopped as Joshua yelled, "Owen!"

Adira looked up to see Owen smiling at Amelia as they rested their foreheads against each other. He kissed her. "Let's go home, he's a bit busy." Whatever fantasy that Adira had constructed in her head went crashing down.

...

Adira looked at her phone from her position in the bathtub. It buzzed not once, but twice. She saw the familiar blink of a new text message. She hauled herself up, grabbed it, and settled back into the hot water. "Will you be my date?" The message read. She checked the number - unknown.

"Who is this?" she responded, taping her chin with the phone.

The reply was instantaneous. "Matt Scott."

"Date for...?"

"Shit. Check your mail."

Adira hauled herself out of the tub, dried off quickly, put on her robe and jogged downstairs to the kitchen where Owen had neatly stacked all of her mail. She leafed through the large stack till she found what Matt was talking about. Almost at the bottom was a black envelope. She opened in.

"You are corrigibly invited to the Black and White Ball as the District 86 formal fundraiser. All officers, detectives, and chiefs of the Tri-County area are invited. Will be held sea side. All officers are allowed a plus one, but no one under the age of twenty one, please - due to the alcohol on the ferry boat. Details are as followed." Adira looked at her phone then back at the details scrawled in fancy script at the bottom. It was two days away.