Chapter 34

*Picture is of Jedidah.

Adira woke up and looked around. She was lying face down on her bed with her dress unzipped and Alex lying to her left, on his back, asleep. She groaned as the hangover hit her like one of Settle's famous summer rain storms. She rolled back her shoulders and stood, going downstairs and pouring herself a cup of coffee. Adira went back upstairs, stumbling a few times on her way back up. She held the dress up to her chest as she woke up Alex. "Go shower downstairs," she ordered sleepily.

"I don't have any clean clothes," he murmured into his pillow.

"Derek has some downstairs. Hunt probably does too. I don't give a damn. There's Advil in the bathroom mirror down there. Knock yourself out. Coffee is in the pot. Mugs are above it. Travel mugs are the second shelf."

She walked into the bathroom and pulled off the gown. She spilled under the shower after downing three Tylenol. Adira let the hot spray wash away the wreak of vanilla perfume and booze. She used almost half a bottle of conditioner, but she didn't care. Adira wrapped herself up in a towel and went into her closet, pulling on a pair of leggings, a white tank top, and an overlarge, open, knit gray sweater. She threw on some long necklace before wrangling her hair up into a bun. Adira slipped on a pair of her favorite crocs before grabbing her purse. "Alex!" she screamed at the top of her lungs from the top of the stairs to the basement.

She packed up a few more things in her purse before turning around to start yelling down the stairs but she came face to face with Alex.

"How do you look so good?" he questioned as he gestured to his red, puffy eyes.

"It's called concealer. Hey, when we get to the hospital, can you take my stitches out?"

"Yeah, sure. No problem."

She handed him his bagel and they headed out. "Well, did you have fun?"

"Yeah. I don't know if I had more fun dancing or drinking though." He gave her one of his infamous crooked smiles.

Adira laughed of the memories of teaching Alex to swing dance flooded her head. A long time ago, Derrel had taught her on one of their first dates and it had soon become their favorite date -- dancing. Their first real date after the twins were born was dancing with a live band. Adira smiled at the memories. "Derek texted you. Said dropped the three oldest off at their cousins birthday party. All day. Done at 3. Jedidiah and Justice are in hospital daycare till you arrive. Candy is taking the kids tonight because it is they said they have always take them the weekend of valentines." Adira groaned and Alex cursed. "Damnit, I forgot about that." H rubbed his temple, trying to come up with plans he could make with Jo.

"At least you'll be getting laid tonight," she joked.

"Trust me, I will be getting laid enough for the both of us," they laughed again. "You have another text from Candy. Want me to read it?"

She nodded as she pulled onto the highway. "Yeah, tell Derek thank you and ask him how many presents he sent?"

"Okay, will do. And, Candy said that since you just got home they don't have to take the kids, but she would miss them, because it had been going on since the twins were born."

"Tell her that's fine. I will pick them up Monday morning before school and bring them. Ask for pancakes for breakfast."

"Pancakes from your Daddy?" he questioned as he tapped away. "How old are you?"

"I am thirty-three, but," she sighed, "Not for long."

"Not for long?" he questioned.

"Birthday is coming up."