Chapter 40

Picture is of Adira's ring.

"I love you," she whispered and pressed a kiss to his lips. "Very much. Be safe."

"Hugs and kisses," he replied before stealing one more kiss.

Justice hugged Adira's leg. "Momma, where is Daddy going?"

"He is going to work?"

"Why do you look so sad then?" questioned Justice. Adira ruffled her hair and looked down. Justice rushed to explain, "It's just that I don't think you were sad when my first daddy left."

"First daddy?" whispered Adira as she crouched in front of Justice, wrapping her arms around her.

Justice looked down, "I don't know what to call him, the dad we go visit in the cemetery, because it is confusing to have two dads. You know what I mean?"

"I do. Their names are Derrel and Matt. You can call them both daddy or their real names. Or," she scooped Justice up, "Why don't you call Derrel father and Matt daddy? Does that sound fair?"

"Fair enough," replied Justice just as Adira's phone rang.

Adira pressed a kiss to Justice's forehead as she pressed her iPhone to her ear. "Hello, Adira Xavier speaking. How can I help you?"

"Adira Xavier, mother of Jeremiah Xavier? It says here that your husband was the first contact, but we could not reach him. It says that his number was disconnected. Mrs. Xavier, you really need to update your contacts if your husband has switched numbers."

Adira set Justice down and walked out to the front porch. She sat on the porch swing and bit her lip. "Ma'am, I updated that contact years ago. My...husband," the words still hurt to say out loud. "Is deceased."

She could hear the woman's sharp intake of breath. "Sorry, I am new here, I didn't know. I am so sorry."

Adira took a very, very deep breath. "It is fine. There new second contact is Matthew Scott," she listed off his phone number and address. "Ma'am, why did you call?"

"Oh, my name is Lacey, but, I called because your son, Jeremiah, fell off the monkey bars and I think he might have broken his right arm. We ask that you come pick up your son and take him to the hospital."

Adira sighed, "I am on my way."

She packed up Jedidiah and Justice into the van, a spare change of clothes for Jeremiah, including a zip-up, and her purse. She arrived in no time and went into the nurse's office. She signed him out and looked her little nine year old, who was trying so hard to be tough. "Let's go, Mister. We can go visit Alex at the hospital. Or Derek or Mer or Bailey. Okay?"

He followed her out, holding onto her hand with his good hand. "Mama, is Mister Owen going to be there today?"

"I don't know, baby, I don't know."

She buckled him into the car and watched him bit his lip, trying not to cry. She sighed as she pulled into the parking lot. She helped him out of his seat belt and wrapped her arms around her little man. "You'll be okay," she whispered, "You will get better in no time."

"Mama, how am I supposed to play basketball?"

"Oh, baby," she cooed. "Let's get you better before we start talking basketball. Okay?"

"Okay, Momma," he wrapped his arms around her neck and she carried him through the ER with the two little ones following her in.

"Owen!" cheered Justice as she went rushing forward.