Chapter 47

Photo is of Erin

"This a one time thing, you hear me?" stated Adira to Tracey before kissing Matt as he flew past her to the door.

"Have a great day kids! Tracey don't rip anymore stitches!" hollered Matt, referencing how Tracey had ripped two stitches on his third day of them, in the middle of the night, and Adira had to stitch him back up. Today was day four of his stitches.

Adira went over to Tracey, who was standing at the island. "You can go lie on the couch, this is a one time thing, you hear me? You will email all your teachers when I get home, you understand?"

"Yes, Adira," he replied before waddling over to the couch. Jedidiah came running over to him, arms up. "Not right now, buddy," Tracey offered up a high five. Jedidiah took it and scampered back to Adira. "Jedidiah, come back here! Turn on the TV. You and Justice can stay with me while your momma runs the boys to school."

Adira watched Tracey out of the corner of her eye as she finished putting each of their water bottles in the outside pocket of their backpack. "James! Joshua! Jeremiah! Out the door!"

James was the first one to come bounding the stairs with Jeremiah on his heels. Joshua was the last down the stairs with a very angry look. "Momma! Jeremiah won't stop calling me the Joker!"

"Freeze!" She yelled. James stopped half way out the door with Jeremiah trying to push past him. "Rephrase," she said to Joshua. "Apologize," she ordered to Jeremiah.

Tracey spent most of the day on the couch as Adira tried, and mostly failed, to keep Jedidiah and Justice entertained and not jumping on Tracey.

Adira came back to the living room, a few hours later, where Tracey was lying on the floor. "Kids are asleep," she whispered. "So try and be quiet, Mr Lumpy."

"Mr. Lumpy is the best you got?" Tracey joked. "Hey, can you do that one thing where you out my hair in that bun like you did at the hospital?" Adira scooted over to Tracey, slowly lifting his head to her thigh. She slowly started to scratch his head, running her nimble fingers through his long hair. She went to move his hair to a bun, but he whispered, "Don't stop, Momma." Adira smiled. "I'm sorry, Adira."

"No, it's okay, Ace. I just...I just didn't imagine it like that. Maybe a casual slip up, like 'pass the peppers, mom,' or 'mom, Jedidiah won't stop bothering me, or maybe a scream out. Our first real argument, something like that. Never had it seemed so effortless and it doesn't have to stop, Ace."

...

Matt poured Adira a glass of white wine and brought it over to her, where she was lying on the hammock. "No," whispered Adira as she pulled him down beside her. The glass shattered as it hit the ground, but all Adira was concerned about was the face Matt made when she said, "I can't drink because your child needs to be strong. As does his mother."

Adira wished she could capture the smile on face. "How far along?" He whispered against her lips.

"Seven weeks," she replied.

"Damn," was his reply, "It's been seven weeks since our honeymoon?"

"What can I say? I am fer--"

"Don't say that word," he shivered. "It grosses me out."

"Our child is about half an inch long," she replied.

He places a hand on the skin of her stomach. "I think it's going to be a girl," he replied confidently.

"I think boy and a mother knows best," she yawned. He stood and scooped her up. "I can walk, Matthew. I am only seven weeks pregnant. I don't even have a bump yet!"